Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mystery Tractor

oldone

What does the ID plate in front of the shifter say? Does the seat pan have a double acting hinge? The seat pan has been repainted. The sterering wheel is B-110,B-112 It has the starter button on dash makeing it an early model. It is a variable by the lever handle beside the starter button. It has the longer tunnel making it a variable as it has the 3 speed shifter. The hood is rounded with Allis Chalmers name on decals to the rear making it a Big 10 late B-10 B-12 hood.

I think Dave nailed it... unless there's a variable speed control lever we can't see. If so, then it would likely be a B-112 with a B-10 hood...

Frame looks longer than a B-12, so I'd guess a B-112 with various sheet metal. [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/b_series_images/ac_b-12.jpg[/img]

If you look carefully at the first picture you can just see the variable lever sticking up over the starter button. I'd say it's b-110 or 112 V that's been painted Simplicity or Allis orange with the early round hood (and grill?)for further disguise. LOL Definatley has the longer wheelbase, shuttles weren't to later and hydro's didn't have the shifter.

[img]/club2/attach/oldone/mini-cnote1.jpg[/img] You guys are just to Good! Next time I will look at my pictures better!:) Looks like the Big Ten will have to hit the road.:(

Thought it looked like it had a long wheelbase... but I didn't see the variable control lever that "eagle-eyes Reed" picked up on... ;)

So where does that leave us? I can't remember, did the early 110's come avaliable with a variable or is this an early 112. As it's not too hard to do, I figured it was a 100 series with a hood/grill swap. Just didn't see the variable, but did see the 3 speed. I did notice the smaller air cleaner and that's why I said a 110. However, this 10 could have come out of the same tractor, or pile of parts as the hood and grill did.

Dave, the B110 never came with a variable, only the 112 did. The later 210 was upgraded to the longer frame with a variable speed.

Dave, I'm not sure the size of the air cleaner is a clear difference between the 10 HP and the 12HP engines. I have at least a couple 12HP engines that have small air cleaners on them. I also have 9 HP (not from an Allis/Simp), 15HP and 16HP engines that have taller air cleaners on them....

As to the air cleaners, I too have had all 3, 9hp, 10hp, and 12hp, all with identical air cleaners.:D my opinion is a 112 with early hood and grill support, although the grill support may not have been changed. Does it have the 2 slots on top or square holes with capture nuts? Either way, I have a decent flat hood to fit that if you end up coming up this way. ;);) Its Yellow though. 8D

Yes its a B112. serial 010888 at lest that's what the tag has on it. and there seems be yellow paint under the orange. Looks like the top of a round hood support was spliced to the other support. I have not had a lot of time to look it all over good yet to see what else it would need. I would like to know how, other people like there shuttles before I put a lot of time into it. John

I don't like the variable speed units .I do have 3 of them and always have had problems getting the clutch to work right.My Allis is going to become a hydro this summer.Should be a lot nicer for snowblowing.Bob

The variable is on the same principle as a snow machine transmission with variable size pullies. On a snow machine these are controled by a centrifical clutch and engine speed. On the tractor it is controlled manualy with a lever adjusting the two pulley sizes. This mated to a 3 speed gear box gives you 7 speed ranges in each gear. This gives you 21 speeds forward and 7 in reverse. You still need to use the clutch to shift between 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse gears. You can adjust ground speed though the seven ranges with out useing the clutch just by moveing the lever. Warning DO NOT move this lever with out the engine running.

John, Maynard is correct. That tranny is a vari-drive unit. On a "shuttle" you will have four speeds from the gear shift, and the lever gives you either forward or reverse. This is what is in my AC713S. Since the shuttle lever engages and disengages belts, you can drive the tractor without using the foot clutch or you can fully engage the shuttle lever then release the foot clutch. I use both methods, depending on what I am doing at the time.