Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
richp

Power steering pump

richp
I wonder if a car power steering pump would work for a hydro lift conversion. I have a pump but need a tank. This would kill two birds with one stone. My 7014s has a small gear starter so I have plenty of room to drive pump where start/gen. would be.

iweld
Besides being a bit overkill, this should work fine. I used a G.M. P.S. pump on an old jeep of mine for the snowblade hydraulics and it worked wonderful. The only stumbling block I can forsee is a fitting for the pressure port of the pump. Most of them are inverted flare or some other odd thing.

HubbardRA
I have a friend who has two tractors that he built totally from scratch. He uses power steering pumps to power the hydraulics on both of them. They usually pump 1.5 to 2 gal/min and have a 1500 psi bypass built in.

toad270
do you mean like this one. [img]/club2/attach/toad270/hyd1.jpg[/img]   [img]/club2/attach/toad270/controls.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/toad270/gm.jpg[/img]   [img]/club2/attach/toad270/hyd2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/toad270/hyd3.jpg[/img]   [img]/club2/attach/toad270/hyd4.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/toad270/pump.jpg[/img] I thought about do this before I found my hydro pump I think I got the pictures from this site somewhere.

patrician12
If you go to the junkyard you will find today most front wheel drive cars use a very small pump with a remote fill tank.The pump should be easy to mount on a horizontal engine and place the tank anywhere space will permit.

dhardin
Just can across a 92 for explored being parted out. plan to pull the power steering pump and alternator next, along with what else i might need. Only problem I see is has a serpinteen belt not a standard pulley/belt, but the price is right, free. After i bought the frunt differntial to fix mine. Now I need a controll valve and I'm set. Any helper out there?

HubbardRA
My son has an 84 Mustang with serpentine belt. Whenever we get an alternator or power steering pump, we always have to change the pulleys, because they come with v-belt pulleys. Should be plenty of v-belt pulleys at junk yards. You may also check at an auto parts store - sometimes they have an extra lying around. They normally swap the pulleys for you if the one they sell you has a different pulley than the one you took off. Been there, done that several times.