Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" Snowthrower on B210: Belt Question

RobS

I setup a 36” thrower that I just bought from someone. It’s going on one of my B210’s. I cannot adjust the belt to get it tight enough and I followed the instructions in the Simplicity manual. B) The belt was sitting for awhile (not sure exactly how long) but has only an hours time on it. The belt feels very non-rubber-like, almost like a smooth fabric, not like the rubber feel of the generator belt. The guy I bought the unit from said this belt is supposed to be of a different material because of the twists it make. It appears that it’s just to loose regardless of the adjustments I make. In the photo I’m pushing lightly on the belt to show the slack – this can’t be right. The auger has new bearings and spins freely. Any comments or suggestions? Here's some photos in the "engaged" position. Thanks. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/RobS/268-6872_IMG.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/RobS/268-6874_IMG.JPG[/img]

I just got off the phone with Brenda at Sandy Lake - she found out that there are two different belts in the book for this blower on the B210 and the one I have is over a half inch longer than the other one so she's sending me the shorter of the two, this should do it....

Rob, The OEM belts are the only ones that I've found that will hold up to running at high speed, turning 90 degrees -- twice -- and using the backside idlers. They have a much higher cloth content than a regular automotive type belt. Even the Gates green belts for outdoor power equipment don't hold up well on these... As far as the 1/2" difference, I would have thought that that little difference could likely be adjusted out of it... What size front pulley are you using on the engine -- it looks non-stock and a little small to me....

I got the pulley from Sandy Lake - they did not have one in stock so they made this one up in thier shop. Not sure of the diameter, I'm in the office now but I'll call my wife and have her measure it and let you know.

Rob, Judging from the picture of the belt, it is too narrow and rides down in the pulley too far and probably is not gripping the sides of the pulley as it should. If that is a 1/2 inch wide belt it should be a 5/8 inch wide belt. A belt will not pull very well down at the bottom of the pulley. I would judge that the belt length is correct but not the width. Conrad

forgot to mention that the pulley groove may be too large for the application. Don't know what the diamater should be, but you could have a 5/8 pulley on a 1/2 application.

My s/b has a coller on the engagement rod that allows tentioning of the main spring. You should be able to move this coller and change tention and where the pulley rests from the engageing rod. Your pic lookes asthough the engageing idler is not traveling as far down as the stationary idler.

This illustration from the Owner's Manual points out two things mentioned above: 1. The width of the groove in the pulley -- note how this orignal belt rides high in the drive pulley. 2. The collar below the tension spring that Dave describes [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/snow_ops/figure_4.jpg[/img]

First problem I noticed has been brought up a couple times, think you have the wrong pulley on the engine as the belt is riding way too deep, if it was riding near the top like it should your belt be the right length.

The collar on the spring is present and working properly - the spring is compressed. Bill at Sandy Lake says that the engine pulley they made up for me is the same diameter as OEM but is wider and pitched so as to accomodate different width belts. He is sending me out the OEM pulley and the slightly longer Simplicity belt and I will return what I do not use. I'm pretty sure the pulley alone will do it. Hope my pulley comes off without a problem - I had to knock it on with a block of mahogany and a hammer but I did put some never seize lube on it.... Thanks for the support - I'll update as I progress for those who may be interested.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Rob, The OEM belts are the only ones that I've found that will hold up to running at high speed, turning 90 degrees -- twice -- and using the backside idlers. They have a much higher cloth content than a regular automotive type belt. Even the Gates green belts for outdoor power equipment don't hold up well on these... As far as the 1/2" difference, I would have thought that that little difference could likely be adjusted out of it... What size front pulley are you using on the engine -- it looks non-stock and a little small to me....
It's 4"

Rob When the locking collar and spring are ajusted right the spring when compressed will measure 3" on a new belt. [img]/club2/attach/UCD/BseriesSnowblowerSetCollarAdj.jpg[/img]

I think the correct front pulley is a 4.5", though I've also run a 5" on them... That's going from memory -- I'd have to measure to make sure, and I'm at work.

Where do you get the measurement from on the pulley is it from the actual outside of the pulley or do they measure where the belt rides? Do these need to be for the 5L belts? another question I have is what size are the idler pulleys? Here is a nother place to look for pulleys. http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/index.html [img]/club2/attach/toad270/pulley.jpg[/img] (part #62450) 4 1/2" Cast Iron Pulley 4 1/2" od - use with 5L or B type belts or 4L or A type belts - standard 3/16 keyway, set screw, painted. Image shows a similar pulley. Retail Price - Each: $24.82 5/8" bore 5/8" 3/4" 7/8" 1"

The measurement is the outside of the pulley where the TOP of the belt rides, not down in the pulley. BTW, I think I bought cast-iron pulleys at McMaster-Carr in the $16 price range + shipping.

[img]/club2/attach/Kent/Img_0392.jpg[/img] A bit blurry from trying to hold a tape in one hand and take a picture with the other -- while both were shaking with the cold in my barn... I confirmed that the pulley on my HB-216 is the same size...

Rob, what was Sandy Lake charging for the pulley. I was searching for one for my B10. I sent an email to Sandy Lake a few days ago and haven't received a response yet. Was thinking of calling them but the phoenix site seems like the hassle free way and least costly alternative. This has been a helpful topic. John

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr
Rob, what was Sandy Lake charging for the pulley. I was searching for one for my B10. I sent an email to Sandy Lake a few days ago and haven't received a response yet. Was thinking of calling them but the phoenix site seems like the hassle free way and least costly alternative. This has been a helpful topic. John
I don't know what they are charging, they are sending me the pulley and a belt to try and I'll pay for what I keep...

Got the original pulley from Sandy Lake today. As most said, that was the problem, the wider groove pulley had the belt so far down that it was like running a 3 or 3.5" pulley. I'm not gonna bother with the shorter belt - not needed - she engages perfectly now - unfortunately no snow for a test run. Here's the way the belt rides the pulley now: [img]/club2/attach/RobS/268-6889_IMG.JPG[/img] I did not have the bracket for the clutch rod so I made this up to put it in the most comfortable spot: [img]/club2/attach/RobS/268-6885_IMG.JPG[/img] Well here's my Not-So-Arctic Fleet ^, Just need to put my chains on the blower tractor: [img]/club2/attach/RobS/2bs.jpg[/img] Why do I have this feeling its never gonna snow on Long Island Again?:(!:)? Thanks for all the feedback on this topic and have a SAFE & Happy New Year!