Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO

RickS

I was out working on my 7012H. I had a hard time starting it the other day, so while I had more time I wanted to check out the choke. I got the tractor started, but noticed the front PTO (and 42" snowblower) was engaged. I shut the tractor off, engaged the PTO and tried to start it, nothing (That's how it should work.) Next I dis-engaged the PTO and tried to start the tractor. It started fine, but the PTO was engaged and the blower was turning. So how do I get the PTO to dis-engage? Could the PTO be sticking and if so how do I free it. The PTO lever by the seat moves fine. The forks(?) by the PTO also move with the lever. I don't like the idea of the blower always turning. Harder to start and dangerous as well. thanks in advance for your help Rick.........

Might try running it into a snow bank while dis-engaged and see if it stops turnning, Maybe something is just stuck making mild contact. May be best to pull it apart and check the lining, least I'm guessing there is lining in them, I don't have one.

You may need to adjust the PTO rod shorter so that it pulls the pulley in, away from the clutch cone about 1/8" - see your operator manual. Otherwise sounds like the PTO needs to come apart for inspection.