Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

How high are your shoes?

mowerman1193
Snow blade shoes that is..This snow/dozer blade I just bought a couple weeks ago has the shoes raised all the way up, thus making the blade scrape the ground..This could make a gravel yard by the time spring gets here...I tried to lower the shoes but the bolts are so rusted that they are breaking off...and of coarse there is no access to the nuts on the other side.. I have always ran my blade about 1 inch off the ground to keep the gravel in the driveway.. I have read messages about the gravel in the lawn in the past and I have never had any problems myself other than the road plow (gravel road) going by and slinging it about 20ft. into my yard..But this makes me wonder how high do you set your blade shoes.. I kinda like the drive scraped down to the dirt as this would keep the snow from building up and making a big mess come spring..but I am not sure whats worse the snow icy slushy muddy drive for a couple days when it warms up or the gravel mess in the grass..

Tom_Byrne
Just put new shoes on mine and they are about one inch. great for my gravel drive but not so good for my paved drive. I may end up lowering them and live with the mess of gravel in the spring....

MPH
Kevin, I run mine on the middle setting until I get a snow pack then I raise them to the lowest setting so I scrap it clean. Not sure how hard you snow pack gets down there though. Tom, you have perfect justification for two tractors and two blades. Or, hydro adjustable shoes from the drivers seat.

dhardin
Just set mine, i don't know if it any good. Its about 1"hight when it setting down in the gravel of my drive. When i parked it in the garge it was more like 2" , but as we all know the skid plates sink in the top of the loose gravel some. So i think seting the blade (1. before it snows, (2 push the blade around some and set it till the hight you like, or so it dont pick up rocks in the drive it is intended for. A hard pack rock drive will be different than a loose pack. I just tried to find a adverage.

SmilinSam
The holes on the 46" HD blades are threaded. There are no nuts on the back side. Break the bolts off and just drill the holes out with the appropriate size bit for tapping the hole and re -tap it. OR, use and easy out if it works...

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Kevin, can you drill all the through, then set the bolt about 1/8th in then weld it? Not sure just what you have broke, got a pic?
Thats what I was planning to do,but I just wondered if someone had a better idea..I think this is probably the best and easiest way to fix this...Maybe I can get to the hardware store to get some new bolts to fix this while the warm 40's plus weather is still here..And get it fixed before I really need to plow...