Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
MDB

B Series Hydraulic Lift Question

MDB
Hi, The last couple of days I have been working on installing hydraulic lift on my 3212-H. I took this lift off of a 2210 that I bought last summer so I knew that it was a working unit,it would pick up a 42" mower deck. After I got the hydraulic unit all hooked up I checked it out, it would extend, retract, and both float positions worked just fine. The problem showed up when I hooked my 42" snow blower to it, the lift would not pick it up. I could here oil going through the relief valve so I figure that either the relief valve spring was weak from age or broken... Took the relief valve out, the spring was not broken so I put a .030 shim in behind the relief spring, put it back together and it will lift the blower and still bypass when the cylinder reaches the end of its stoke. My question is, what is the correct operating pressure for these units? I do not want to have this set up too high and mess it up..... Sorry to be so long winded.... Thanks for any info

toad270
Kent Is there a rebuild kit availible for the B-12 hydro pump and cylinder mine is bleeding off under the pressure of the blade and someone said it was most likely the cylinder that needed rebuilt but I will do both if I can find the parts.

HubbardRA
Mike, Beyond the specs, the pop-off valve is there to keep from killing your engine. I have a friend who has built two tractors from scratch and built hydraulic systems for both, including tilt bed trailers with quick disconnects. He totally eliminates the bypass by replacing the spring with a solid rod. If he deadheads a cylinder, it will stop his engine instantly. Most hydraulics will take 2500-3500 psi with no problems. As I said before, the bypass is basically to keep from killing your engine on these small tractors. If your engine continues to run, the pop-off is doing its job. The hydraulic components should take it.

D-17_Dave
Rodney, you might want to tell you friend that the relief valve is in the system to protect the pump and other components from overpressure. Most pumps will self desruct when too much presure is applied. Toad, in the other post's on the pump rebuild kit, They are avaliable. I'm working on getting a qoute for the pump kits.

HubbardRA
Dave, I've told him, but he says he needs the extra pressure for some of the jobs he does. Don't know why, but he has never blown a pump. He uses only power steering pumps on his tractors.

D-17_Dave
Most of the power steering pumps have a relief valve built into the houseing. Most all hydrolic application pumps for almost everything else have the relief valve built into the valve body. This is most likely why he hasn't blown anything, as even if it chokes the engine it'll probablely take awhile for it to stop.

tej
One note on the old hydraulic systems, use 30w oil in them. Hydraulic fluid will not work. With hydraulic fluid it might pick up the mower deck but not any front mounted attachments and it will leak.

MPH
The one I just rebuilt has a sticker on it that says to use 10w30 oil. I too was under the impression of using 30w, which I had in the Landlord and will report, the lift gets pretty slow after about an hour outside working at 10-20 below zero. Since Kent posted they shouold be changed every 25 hours I changed it over to 10w30.

D-17_Dave
Maty, I don't think even Simplicity thought you'd be out useing a 45 year old tractor in such brutal conditions.BTW I get pretty slow that long in it to.LOL You ot to contact Simplicity and do a commertial for them. If you can't show them what their products cappable of, nobody can.;)

D-17_Dave
I was at my local dealer yestrday Marty and they had their loader 4x4 display on the floor and all I could do was drool. Started makeing me think of all the stuff I could test on it for them. Then reality hit and I figured I'd be about 10,000 on the waiting list for people who could "try out" something for them. You defiately got a leg up on adverse conditions on me. It was 70+ degrees here today. Go figure, on the 1st day of Jan. At this rate I'll be putting the deck back on.lol