Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just picked up a B-112

mark64

I just purchased my second Allis garden tractor, a B-112 from a local farmer who purchased the tractor new. I don't know anything about these and am looking for advice or comments on the tractor. Is the variable speed a good deal, or more problems than they are worth? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Mark

If it's in decent shape they are very handy. If it's worn badly, it can be a real hassle to keep adjusted for smooth opperation. The real factor is what kind of shape the rest of the tractor in. Also, we love pictures here. lol Post us some shots if you can.

As soon as I get it home I will post a few pic's. I placed a ad in a local farm paper looking for old Allis garden tractors and attachments, and this guy gave me a call. The tractor has not been started in over a year, but is very straight and has near mint paint. He had a rear tiller, hardly used Allis snow blower and a nice mower deck that came with the tractor. I was looking mostly for older tractors, but this one I couldn't pass up as it is almost in show room condition. Mark

Sounds like a real nice score, congradulaons. IMO the variable speed is worth fixing if needed. Often refered to as 'the poor mans hydro' you can slow down or speed up as needed, esp when mowing grass or blowing snow. Don't move the lever if the tractor is not running. Use a Simplicity OEM belt, I tried the other route once, and adjust acording to the manual and you should be happy.

I like the variable speed drive. If working properly it's pretty neat. That large belt it uses cost about $50.00. You said you wanted a older tractor ? well thats about late 1960's vintage. I would love to find one with good paint. By any chance did it have the hydraulic lift ? I am currently building a B112 with the hydraulic lift. What I am doing is combining two machines ( rough )to make one nice one. Good luck, they are a decent machine. You should be happy with it. I was just curious about if it had hydraulics, one of mine does the other doesn't. If you look near where the driveshaft comes off the engine you will notice that it probably has the pulley for the hydraulics whether or not it has hydraulics.

It does not have hydraulic lift on it. I was looking for B10's and 12's when I placed the ad in the paper. I also scored a non running B-1 tractor, and have one more running B-1 to go look at sometime. Seems the local Allis dealer sold quite a few mowers in the area years ago. Mark

Sounds like a good score. What did you pay for the tractor and equipment? (if you don't mind me asking). Welcome to the club. JH

I bought and restored a B-112 last year and mowed my lawn with it this past summer. I took it to a few tractor shows and had a lot of fun with it. I think the variable speed is super! Good luck.

I have a 112 that's been in my Family for a While it has Hydraulic lift, I really like it the variable is nice but the belt is expensive, It's nice for mowing if you hit some heavy grass you can just pull the lever back and slow down....

I have a variable speed b112, but almost never use it. It's nice for parking, but other than that it does me little good.

Hello everyone, I also have a B-112. A club member was parting it out. I bought the hydro-lift and variable drive off of it. Then just decided to buy the whole thing and fixed/put it back together. The Vari-drive has its problems though. Egg shaped drive holes in the gear-case pulley(which the pulley halfs are not available anymore:() and the BGB pulley. Also the idler pulley arm egg shapes on the pin that is welded to the mounting plate and wear in the pins/brackets that actuate the pulley halves. I have repaired/replaced these things and it works great! I like it! So much that I have converted one of the B-110's to a Variable drive also.. Andy

I can't seem to get the pictures to work here, so I posted 2 on my profile of the B112 and attachments. I put the blower on my B10 this week when we had some snow and was very impressed. I can't believe how much torque that 9 horse has blowing deep snow with a 36" blower. Mark

Here they are Mark ;): [img]/club2/attach/RobS/attachments.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/RobS/b112.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/RobS/blower.jpg[/img] Nice equipment you have there, looks like beautiful grounds too. Wish my shop had that much open space...

Thanks for posting the pis's. I am still not too sharp on the computer! I may try to post a couple of pictures the wife took (of my old junk lawn tractor) blowing some snow. Mark