Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

WHEEL OFFSET

B-10nut

Hello, I'm new to this great web site! I would like to start garden tractor pulling with a AC 712, and would like to purchase wider wheels for the rear. Does any one know the offset I need? Thankyou.

Somewhat depends on how wide you want to go. :D

With a little minor "modification" you can get 26 x 12 x 12 tires on standard A/C 7 1/2" wide wheels to squeeze under there. ;);)

Not sure but I know someones gunna ask what size tires your goning to run. I belive that will matter. Oh and welcome to the club. Elon

I'm sure the 6-6 won't work, but I'm not sure the 4-8 will work... assuming that it 4" inside and 8" outside. These tractors have SHORT axles/axle tubes... and some wheels off other tractors won't fit.

I have one out there with about the minimun you could get away with, but cant get a measurement till daylight. Although, I think they are only 10" wide not 12" so might not be any help.

I think if your going to run in the stock tractor class 23" tall tires are as big as you can go. But im not shure, and its different for each club/orginization.

What you need to be concerned with is not truly the "offset" but the "backspacing". Backspacing is the distance from the rim to the seating surface on the side of the wheel toward the tractor. I made my own wide wheels for pulling. I used a narrow wheel that fit the tractor, then cut the rim and widened it all to the outside. The 6-6 wheels will not work on a Simplicity. the 4-8 will probably work. Pull a wheel off your tractor. Lay a straight edge across the wheel mounting flange on the hub and measure from that toward the tranny. I would make sure to have at least an extra inch clearance beyond the rim to allow for the bulge of the tire beyond the rim. This way you can tell if there is anything that the tire will hit.

Thanks for all the help! I found someone with a 12x12 (4x8 offset) rim today and it fit on the tractor great!

We run Douglas aluminum wheels 12" wide with the 4-8 offset. They work great. We run Carisle 26x12x12 Turf Chiefs on blacktop and 26x12x12 Firestone F23 lug tires on dirt, no clearance problems with our tractors. We have run both straight 3-speed and vari-drives with no problems. The only thing that you will need to remove to get clearance with 26x12x12 tires is the cone clutch. You can leave the shaft sticking out of the BGB (Bevel Gear Box). It will be close but it will not interfer with the tires. What is your 712? 3-speed, shuttle, hydro, or 6-speed. My son and I pull a AC 718 and a AC 917, we have been pulling for 8 years. Glad to help you with any questions.

Mike Are those stock size rims on the front of your pulling tractors? Are they the same size on both tractors? Reason I am asking is the ribs seem to fit so well. Also notice difference in rake of tractors. 917 appears to have level hood while 718 is sloped forward.