Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jacked up B-10

tractormike

Here is a start on one of my projects for this spring. This is a B-10 that I picked up for a parts tractor but I have not had the heart to part it out. The engine needs work and it's missing the gas tank, carb and voltage regulator but otherwise it's all there. I'm going to put these 6.70 x 15 ag tires on the back and put a set of tri ribs on the front. The rear tires just clear the fenders but the fenders are bent down a little so maybe it will work without any major modification. One of the pictures shows the stock tire next to the 15 inch ag tire so you can see the difference. How do you think it looks? I hope to have it done this spring to take to the shows with us. All you tractor nuts have a Happy New Year! [img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_0760.JPG [/img] [img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_0762.JPG [/img] [img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_0768.JPG [/img]

Looks good to me, way too nice to part out. The tire difference is hardly noticeable until you see the last picture. Will this affect how your oil levels read?

Mike, I put 27-8.50-15 on my Big Ten a while back. Had to make spacers to move wheel out about 3/4 inch. Also had to put larger pulley on tranny input, much too fast otherwise. With tri ribs on front I like the stance, just a little lower in front. I use with snow blade in winter, with weights and no chains. The extra tire diameter has amazing traction. Also pull 10" plow for garden.

Sure am glad you decided not to part that one out, nice looking tractor. When I first pulled my Landlord into the shop I had the thought of putting a set of 15 inch rims off a Dodge pick-up on it with a near new set of non radio mud and snow tires I have laying around. My thinking was a faster moving snow plow. By the time I had it up and going decided I liked it too much hack around on. Would of had to take off the fenders and make new ones to clear the tires.

Rob, Those rims are the space saver spare tire rim from a dodge caravan I believe. I found 3 pairs of these rims at the junkyard. They have the right bolt pattern and by just torching out around the center flange they fit the garden tractor hubs. I used on pair of these rims on my massey ferguson model 10 narrow front conversion and a pair on the second massey I'm working on, a front wheel assist model 10. I found 10 of the rear ag tires which came off from a couple of small irrigation booms. I might make this B-10 into a narrow front tractor or maybe use a big pile of parts I have to make a second B-10 into a narrow front tractor. I'm leaning to leave this one alone and modify the second b-10, we will have to see. Sorry about the blurry pictures, I don't know what is up with the camera.

Looks nice, but with the bigger diameter rear tires you are going to lose pulling power/torque unless you change the pulley diameters to maintain the same gear ratio. You should be able to put a larger pulley on the trans input shaft to compensate. On the other hand, it will go faster. Not sure if you are looking at making a working tractor or just something nice to look at.