Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loose Steering

babbsrw

I didn't find much using a "loose steering" search. I have a Allis 410S with a lot of play in steering (1+ inch). It seems to be in the gear steering assembly at the bottom of the steering column. Is there anything in there replaceable? Or do I just have to find a new one? Basically looking for what to look at to find the problem. Thanks, Rich

There is an adjustment that can be made that may help. On the right side of the tractor (as you sit on it) above the footrest you will find a hole. In the hole you should see a threaded stud with a slot in the end. This stud threads into the steering box and can be screwed in to take play out of the steering. There is a large nut that is tightened over the stud and against the steering box to hold the stud in place once adjusted. You will need to loosen this before you make the adjustment. Hope this is of some help

Check your front axle pivet point. My 310s bushings were wore slap out and there was were alot of my play was coming from,Matt

WHile sitting on the tractor, the access hole is on the right side. I just tried this adjustment, and it works great. My wheel moved about 4 inches each way, now it is much less. Thanks!

That's what I like about this place.....answers to problems you didn't even know you had. I find them all the time.

[img]/club2/attach/UCD/SteeringGearBoxAC300-400Series.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/UCD/SteeringLinkageAC300-400Series.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/UCD/SteeringFrontAxelAsyAC300-400Series.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/UCD/SteeringFrontWheelBearingsAC300-400Series.jpg[/img]

The only place I found to get the parts for the steering box is JD, there old 110s had the same gear box on them .It usually the part # 9 in UDCs first pict.

quote:
That's what I like about this place.....answers to problems you didn't even know you had. I find them all the time.
John, you are right on - I don't know how many times I've read a post and had "the light bulb go off".

All, thanks for the great response. I took a ruler out and measured the play and it was actually 5 inches. I tightened the stud in the steering box and most of the play is gone. Got an inch or so now, but that is in the play in where the steering wheel attaches to the column. A slightly bigger bolt should fix that. Still may take the steering box apart for fun per UCD's picture and instruction. Thanks, always great help and solutions here. Rich

There is a zerk fitting in the steering box. Make sure that it is well greased. You will need to access it from the bottom of the tractor.

I have a little bit of a different problem with my AC 716H. It is hard to steer. I have the wide front tires, that I have overinflated. Tonight I stopped by the dealer to pick up a belt. They had a Soverien with an 18hp. It was on black top and steered pretty easy. Any ideas??