Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Driveshaft Flex Disk Washers

Al

Hi, I was looking at the list of posts and my eyes crossed the driveshaft post. The washers that go against the fiberglass, go with the rounded side of the washer against the fiberglass. If they are put on with the flat, sharp edge side against the glass they will cause the disk to fail right around outside of the washer. Also retaining rings have a right and wrong way to be installed. When washers and retaining rings are stamped one side is drawn down making the edge have a rounded shoulder and the other side (against the die) is flat and sharp edged. When retaining rings are installed they go on with the sharp side on the pressure side of the groove. Just thought I would mention it. Al Eden

Thanks Al. Your tech. post's are alway's a blessing. Even the little things that are often overloked can make a diff.

Dang, you got me worried now Al. I most likely put mine on backward, you see, when I was about a freshman in High School I put all new 2x6 on our hay wagon on the farm, with stove bolts and washers on top and lock washers and nuts on the bottom, my dad was very happy except I had about half the washers on upside down, flat edge up, and I had to change them all. I no longer have any clue how many bolts were in that hay wagon but it sure was a bunch at the time and ever since I'VE ALWAYS made sure the rounded side of the washer is against the bolt head. Hopefully the instruction in the fiber disk kits say something about it and I followed.