Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
stevenj

BGB RH Seal Replacement

stevenj
The RH seal of my 17GTH-L bevel gear box is leaking oil. I checked the oil level and noticed it is about 3/8" too full on the dipstick. Is it likely that the high oil level is the cause of the leaking? I remember posts about axle tube seal leaking caused by high oil levels. Is it possible to replace the seal and spacer without removing the BGB from the frame? I know that the RH side plate will need to be removed. It looks like I can remove the side plate without splitting the tractor in two. I'm thinking that after I remove the side plate and pull the pulley and spacer, I should be able to pry out the seal, but I'm not familiar with the spacer that is installed between the seal and the bearing. Is it press fit into the bore or can I easily remove it? The bearings are all tight so I don't see the need to completely rebuild the unit. It would be great if I could easily replace the seal only.

Al
Hi, You are correct, you should be able to remove the right side plate. The seal has a round steel ring behind it. This ring is like a piece of pipe sawed off. This ring is what keeps the bearing pushed into the bore. The ring fits into the seal and against the outside inside of the flat. The seal presses the spacer in against the bearing. Once the seal is seated, a shim pack goes between the outside of the seal and flush with the edge of the case. These shims keep the seal pushed in so the bearing is seated completely into the bearing bore and the seal is held compressed against it by the sideplate. To remove the seal take an ice pick or an awl and punch a couple of holes in the seal. Run a couple of sheet metal screws into the seal and pull on these with a slide hammer or use a claw hammer to pull the seal. If you drill holes for the screws you will put drill cuttings in the bearings. Bad News. Punching the holes avoids this. Good luck, Al Eden