Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coil question

ReedS

I need some help identifing this coil from a briggs 10hp, what I need to know is this a magnetron coil and if I wanted to use this on a 16hp briggs can I swap both it and the flywheel? [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0881m.jpg[/img] I just got this 16hp recently minus the points so I put a used set of points asnd condensor on it, I had what looked like pretty decent spark to begin with but ended up with alomst none when I gave up. I may have a sheared key in the flywheel so I've removed the engine for further inspection but wondered about the coil since it's free and the old one is suspect......... Here is a pic of the engine in question [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0882m.jpg[/img] Even though it looks rough it seems to have good compression and it did fart once or twice but the carb defiantely needs going through and I guess I should check the flywheel key.

That's an orrignal add on magnetron. However if the bolts that hold it on are in the same place as when you took it off, the coil was mounted upside down. Tis doesn't matter to the coil, but it matters to the timeing from the magnetron. As I think the magnet times and triggers the fireing. If I remember correctly the coil wire to the plug should come out on top and the wires to the modual should be on the bottom. Also remeber that it takes at least 300 rpm to fire a magnetron coil so you need to install it and spin it up at starting rpm to check for spark with this.

With all the rust on your flywheel it's a wonder it sparks at all emery cloth the edges of the flywheel till they are clean and try it.

Dave I took that coil off a parts engine, are you trying to tell me that the coil should be turned around so that the ignition wire comes out facing the other way? What about the 10 hp flywheel can that be used on the 16 hp eng?

Reed For my money I prefer the points or a automotive type ignition system. I tryied the magnetron on my 3112 and was very unhapy. The spin up needed to create a spark, combined with the starter/gen made the engine more difficult to start. If you go with the magnetron you Will need to have the flywheel re-polorized. I bit the bullet and spent the 30$ for briggs points/condensor set and have had no trouble for 4 years, and the engine starts every time with like 2 or 3 revolutions of the crank. good luck john

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Dave I took that coil off a parts engine, are you trying to tell me that the coil should be turned around so that the ignition wire comes out facing the other way? What about the 10 hp flywheel can that be used on the 16 hp eng?
There are some magnetos (flywheels) that are interchangeable between 10 and 16 HP engine. I just looked up an older parts list and lo and behold.

Reed, I checked my Briggs book and the part #'s are the same from a 243400 to a 320000 series engine. I went and looked at a few engines and I still think the magnetron goes on the left side. But the plug wire goes on the back side on both a 10 and a 12 hp engine. So I told you wrong above. I hope I didn't mess you up too much. If you have any dought, you can remove the modual and rewire it with points.

As read from the maintence manual, the large rivet heads are mounted away from the cylinder. The picture shows the small rivet heads.

about the flywheel- if all the dimensions are the same, send it off to be re magnetized and it should help some

Couldn't wait for tomorrow so I checked the flywheel key earlier, sure enough it was sheared. Installed a new key and I had it fired up but only on the fuel I dripped into the cylinder I'll have to open the carb up now and clean it up.