Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Does anyone own/use one of these ?

RayH

Was browsing the Sears On-line Catalog and found this implement offered...http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07124523000 (hope this link works) My question is...has anyone used one of these and does it work very well ? I remember several months back, someone posted the question asking if there was some type of implement to cut a trench. I dont remember any reference to this "furrow opener". Any comments or responses would be appreciated. RayH

Had one for years. I use it to run rows off in the garden after I disc or till the ground. Then run one of these down the row to apply fert. in a straight line. Usually follow with the planter slightly deeper than the furrow then cover. I don't ditch with it here, as the ground here is much to clumpy with clay.

I saw one of those at when I was at the mall. It is made by Brinly but the sears page says its a Sears exclusive. I have not seen them anywhere else. Looks like it would be something pretty easy to make. I think this is also called a potato plow. "Potato plows" or Middlebusters were widely sold with walking tractors in the 60's when lots of people had large gardens.

Looks a lot like the 'root remover' device I had a blast with last spring. Mine came with some old walk behind tractor impl picked up for 5 bucks each at an auction.

I built one like Sears has last fall. [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/tater3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/tater2.jpg[/img] I used it to dig my potatoes. Works great with block on it. Shovel needs to be wider. I don't remember where I purchase shovel. I may have $25 in whole set-up.

I have one on a troybilt roto tiller,used for hilling the potatoes. Also have one for digging the potatoes with the AC B-12 garden tractor.Just a little different in shape and larger.Made out of a old Simplicity walking tractor plow. Both work very good.;)^ Karl

Karl, If I post a pic of one I have that I was guessing was troybuilt can you tell me for sure? I'll have to dig it out to get a pic, but its something I picked up somewhere to modify for a B to play with and just haven't gotten to yet. If I knew for sure what it fit, someone else may want it worse than I do. ;)

I just got this one off of ebay. Hope to get it set up to use in the spring. THIS IS A NEW MIDDLE BUSTER, FURROW OPENER FOR GARDEN TRACTORS AND SOME TILLERS. PLOW MEASURES 10-1/2" ACROSS THE TOP AND IS 18" TALL. IT HAS 2 MOUNTING HOLES, 1 SQUARE HOLE FOR A CARRIAGE BOLT AND THE OTHER IS SLOTTED. THIS IS A HEAVY DUTY PLOW MADE OF 1/4" STEEL AND CUT DOWN TO THE POINT. SEE PICTURE FOR DETAILS. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/BruceF/37_1_b.JPG[/img]

Hi, They used to sell these for walkbehindsd for furrowing. Also Sears and Wards used to have them in the farm catalogs when I was a kid in the late 40s. They also had them like 2 little plows 1 left hand and 1 right hand and they could be put on opposite sides to close the furrow. Also a number of the 2 wheel companies had a curved disc like a regular disc blade right and left that could be mounted on the cultivator frame to close the furrows. I always dreamed of getting 3 of the little plows and making a 3 bottom plow for the garden tractor I dreamed of getting. We were so poor that a garden (2 whl) was out of the question. My eyes almost wore all of the printing off the Wards and Sears farm catalogs and all of the garden tractor companies literature I gathered. In the late 40s, Simplicity 1 1/2 hp or a Bolens 1 1/2hp or Gravely 2 wheel were the subject of dreams. A Shaw 4 wheel was almost beyond dreaming. Man I wanted anything to help with the chores on the farm. We could afford a PUSH reel mower. I have those old brochures committed to memory and can see them as plain today as I saw them back then. When the G Allis Chalmers came out 589.00 I wanted one so bad. I might as well have wished for the moon. I was 10 years old and skidding logs with a 20 Caterpiller and used to dream of one of the Simpliciy 2 wheelers in the Wards farm book and a dealer in town. I wanted one of those so bad so I didn't have to push that mower. I knew when I got home it would be waiting. I am not so sure that I wasn't happier with those dreams and wishes than we are now that so many things are so available. Thanks for the memories. Al Eden

Bruce, since your near farm country you should be able to get plow shear bolts, think thats what they are called, They are a carriage bolt with a flat top so it come flush with the surface. You need two on that shovel you scored, 10 1/2 inches tall and 18 wide sounds like a pretty good trench. Al, I can relate to your dreams, my brother and I were always easy to find whenever we made a trip to a city big enough to have Wards and Sears, we were in the garden tractor section. My fever finally boiled to the point I built a front-end tiller in high school shop class outta parts from an old MM cornpicker, a 3 1/2 hp cliton engine with a Briggs carb adopted to fit with a wood block and tines made outta old disk blades. It was neat having the trees full of junk.