Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I think my rear end is rusted

KVANDY12

Read a site here about the rear end on 728 didn't twist or rock on bumpy ground. My 727 that I'm working on does not more at all was wondering if it is suppost to rotate in the sleeve? Or is it not to be able to move. Have it all apart to paint now so if is suppost be free moving now would be the time to see if I can free it up. Ken

I think all the broudmoers and B-207's 208's small frame tractors moved in the middle. If the front axle doesn't pivot, the frame does. It can be a pistol to get apart, but it's worth it when you get done. It'll give you a funny ride till you get used to it, but it'll give youone of the best cuts youv'e ever seen from aa simplicity.

I have an early broadmoor i got with a seized pivot and no grease zerk,i removed the small panel in front of the shifter and drilled into the sleeve,soaked it with "PB blaster" and heated it with a propane torch,it finally freed up,sort of the lazy way but i didn't have time to tear the tractor apart.

ken- there is a post by comet66 on this subject dated 12/16/04 that addresses this and has good pictures of the frame and the pivot. Some of these have grease fittings and I understand some don't but you can look at this post and maybe it will help you determine if your 727 pivots or not. I do not know first hand but my guess would be that it does.

Here's a link to the post that Bill mentioned: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42703 Your 727 should pivot as in the pic of this Allis: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/600_series_images/frame.jpg[/img] Free it up and replace the grease zerk if it has been lost.

Great picture Greg! I think it was Al that said he removed the brake linkage, and whatever connected the two halves together, then used a pully or hoist to hang it by the front end. Then heated and whatever it took to get it apart.

I guess I'm lucky. My B-208 has the grease zerk, and it still pivots fine. Now if I could just figure out why the engine is locked!

Thank for the help fellows. Its lock down hope to free it up over the week end. Luckly I have the tractor torn down to repaint. One more thing to do before I do. Ken

I had a B207 about 6 years ago that was froze up tighter than an 8 day clock. With help from a blue tip wrench and my good buddys Jeff and Peanut we got it to break loose. Not that bad it did have a grease fitting and it wasnt wore out at all,Matt8D

• 2 weeks later...
Man what job to get it loose, like tring to bull doging a steer. Had to put front tire of the car on the front frame to hold it down. Put a jack under rear axle, heated it with the torch for 3 minute and than jacked the rear end it moved pretty easily. anyway she loose as a goose now and greased up and ready to paint. once it was loose stood it up grab the front axle and turn it back and forth like bull doging a steer. Thanks for all the info. Ken

I have to admit that the title of this topic makes me smile every time I see it... Maybe you should use the towel a bit more after showering... and cut down on the iron in your diet... ;)

Larry, at least I controlled myelf long enough for him to get the problem solved before I took it off-topic... I don't even want to think about acetylene torches though... :D

Glad I was able to provide a little humor for all ya al, but anyway my rusted rear end is now loose. Oh oh shouldn't wrote that. Ken