Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 23 Briggs

Bunky

I assume that the crank and rods are no longer available for the model 23's does anyone know if the rods can be resized as well as the Cranks and How much???

I have a 23d short block. Don't no condition but it turns over. You can have it if you can get someone to haul it. I think it would cost a lot to ship. It has flywheel.

I have a .02 under rod that I got for a rebuild. but when I got a price of 80 for the crank grinding. I did'nt have it done. But the rod I got off ebay nos. so they most still be out there. John

I would give jks@frontiernet.net an e-mail. His seller name on e-bay is briggsnut and I have bought from him a bit. I hope he has what you need. I haven,t gotten into my 23D yet but I bought a rod from someone on e-bay. Good Luck

Bunky I was talking with the service manager at the old farm and grain, he loves rebuilding and saving these ol'engines/tractors, as I may need a piston and rings. Anyway, as far as parts, he mentioned, for pistons and rings, (if you get that far), don't forget Weisco in Cleveland, he said they can pretty much make up what you want if you can't find them else where.

I'm in the same position with an ol 19d,,I'm having little luck trying to find a rod .my crank is ok machinest at work is taking the cap off taking a little off it then we're going to rebore based on the crank ,plus couple thou for oil pass..Funny thing though there is a small hole in the top part of the rod that must have been for oil to splash down on the crank ,,whewn the aluminium heated it closed the hole over ,helping to heat itself up more.I'm getting lots of pictures of the job as this is the first engine I've ever taken apart on my own..will put together a little project for anyone who wants to view it ...

If I recall right, it took Brenda at SLI some time but I'm pretty sure it was her who found the new crank and .030 over piston for my model 19. The 19's and 23's are getting real haqrd to find stuff for.

That depends on where you go looking, Marty... I have I thing 3 on the 19's and a couple 23's out in the shed and a 23 that popped a couple times and ran for a second from a spray of starter fluid and a quick jump....

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
That depends on where you go looking, Marty...
:D:D:D I have 2 19's with seized pistons, a 23 with seized piston and bent valves. I won't count the 10, 12, and 14 hp's. The one I'm having trouble finding is a decent model 14 :(

Hello Bunky, You can get the Briggs part listing for that engine, from Briggs websight. You can then either order parts directly from them, if availble or SEPW. I find these parts break downs very useful

quote:
You can get the Briggs part listing for that engine, from Briggs websight.
Briggs does not have pdf manuals for the engines before the new numbering system (around 1967?). I just emailed B&S the other day about getting a parts list for my 23D and they told me computers were not invented when my engine was made so no pdf manual is available. Then they tell you to buy the service manual for pre 1981 Engines, but how will that help me find part numbers? I'm glad Simplicity has pdf manuals for old stuff, hope Briggs doesn't do away with that!

OK so trying to figure out modle number to horsepower equivalent ,,,local guy has a "10" horsepower cast iron Briggs ,,is that the model 23??? Question 2 there is a used tractor place bout 4 hours from me,the gentleman said he's got lots of old mengines ,,but wants the casting number...well mine doesn't have any ,,do any of your 19's ...PS dude wants $100 bucks for the 10 horsepower ,,,and it runs,,,should I get it ,,,never mind I know what you guy's would say ,,,buy it buy it ...