Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
flipdaflyr

Best Series Tractor

flipdaflyr
I'm in my second winter with a Simplicity 7116. It has a 42" blower, hydro, and runs and works perfectly. While the unit seems bulletproof, it is getting older. I would guess it was built in the mid 1980's, or so. Since I'm new to Simplicity and there are many experts out there, I was wondering about opinions as to what series of tractors are the best and most reliable, and what series to avoid. Someone mentioned to me that 1997 was the last year of the "really good" tractors. Specifically, I have a lead on a 12 hp hydro model that looks either new, or seen little use. It has a 36" blower. The engine is, I believe, a B&S Vanguard series engine. Any advice? Thanks............

rokon2813
Can't help you on the advice, nor on the 1997, but as for your 1980's getting old, my 68 is still running strong and working hard ;);):D Take good care of that 7116 it'll last another 20 years. 8D seriously, I dont know anything about the newer stuff, but it does still have the Simplicity name on it, so you can hardly go wrong. My only advice would be, just stick with horizontal engines. IMO verticals are lawn tractors not Garden tractors.

rs07
Phil, Welcome to the club! I have a 1982 Allis-Chalmers 916H, which is the twin to your 7116H. I am a loyal fan of this style garden tractor, knowing they had a very long production run. I also own a new Simplicity Conquest Tractor, that I bought last August. I will say,even though it does not see to be as heavy as my 916H, the overall quality of this tractor is superior to what else is out there today on the market. The price is competitive to the other name brands as well too. This style tractor is available in the Conquest or you can get a more heavier duty version in the Prestige Series.

maxtorman1234
Welcome to the club! in my opinion, the a/c 300 and 400 series are the best tractors for most tasks. I find they're a little harder to work on though, and alot of parts arent availiable. One more reason i think they're the best, they didn't come with BRIGGS engines:D:D:D

dirtsaver
Welcome Phil! As you will soon see, everyone here has their own opinion on what series is king. My personal favorites are the "round hoods",which are the Allis B10,B12 and Big Ten or Simplicity 700,725,2010 and 2012,although I do own a sweet little Simplicity 3012 with variable drive and a Simp. 17GTH-L,basicly a newer version of your tractor with a Kohler KT17II twin. The great thing about the 7000/7100 frames is you can replace the engine with several choices if you need to. One of our members even installed an older Briggs cast iron 16hp in his. I suggest collecting/reclaiming and using one of each series and making your choice based on the fun and experience you gain that way.

HubbardRA
I am currently in the process of restoring a very ratty 7116H. I already have an AC716H, an AC713S and a 61 Wards (Simplicity 700). They are all very strong machines and in my opinion they are much better than most of the new machines. With the parts availability for this tractor, you can keep them running for many more years.

D-17_Dave
Welcome to our clubhouse Phil. You have a series tractor with a very long production run and many parts and accesaries are interchangeable. Also,as said above, if you have engine problems you have many options to choose from and repowering with a twin or larger hp engine will drop in with little or no modifications. If your happy with this tractor then keep clicking along. If your hankering for an update then I'm sure you will find that Simplicity still makes (in our very unbiased opinions) the best tractor for the money on the market. The older ones are very dependable and you can still get most parts for most all of them and they are very addictive to collect. Have fun and let us know if we may be of help.

ambler
Put your money in the 7100 series. I have a 1979 7117 its on its third engine that I know of. Came with kt17, had a 18hp Briggs IC and I just dropped in a K341. Hydro is great with hydro lift. The same tractor was esentially made from 1979-2000. 1997 is when they put the Aegis dog in it.

flipdaflyr
Thanks, gents, for all your replies. I'm getting a real education on Simplicity tractors. It seems they really don't make a bad product line anywhere. I'll plan to keep my 7116 for a long time. Thanks again for your thoughtful insights......

KVANDY12
Welcone to the club Phil.I have 7013 710 AC 914 AC T10 Homeltt these are all big garden tractor or small garden tractors. I'd put any one of them up against any thing on the market today for doing the job or holding up. Looking forward to getting my 727 broadmoor up and running to see what she will do. Ken

maxtorman1234
quote:
Originally posted by Mack
Sorry,I can't be of much help with this topic as I have not used anything newer than my 1974 AC 410S. ;):D
You probably wouldn't want to. I like the old ones better :) I even liked that 725, just didnt like the briggs, and it needed too much work.

toad270
B series 1960'S (round hoods)I have three only one is running right now but it is a 1964 Early B-10 with original motor that has only had the valvse hand lapped. I would say that = A GOOD MODEL

HubbardRA
Come on Mike, don't start that running board thing again. I have three with and one without. The more I use them, the more I like the RBTs. Sorry, but I can't back you up on this one. I love my 61 Wards tractor, but I just think the RBTs are more comfortable. Unless I am maneuvering in a very tight place, I would rather use an RBT. Both types use basically the same drivetrain and chassis design.

Karl_Brandt
I like the older Simplicity,Allis Chalmers with Briggs & Stratton8D:Dengines on them. Right now I have Simplicity 725,Landlord,3212H,3416H,7013S,7116H. Allis Chalmers B-10,Big Ten,B-12,B-110,HB-112,B-210,710-6,712S,718H,912H,919H. And a few more.;):D [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

IronPony
I agree about the difference between a LAWN tractor and a GARDEN tractor. Of course, as once said on this site, (sorry I can't remember who said it) "the differnece between a lawn mower and a garden tractor is from October to May". I have only one tracotr now and it is a 78 Allis Chalmers 712S that I repowered with a Kohler 16 horse K341. I love it. Enough said.^ Why would I want to spend BIG bucks to get a new plastic one??? Dan

BLT
I have a 3112H, 7116H and a Sunstar 1920. I like the Sunstart because of power steering and individual brakes. My wife likes it more because of the hydro and power steering. All that does is mow grass. My Broadmoor 728 that my son in law now has, I would not be afraid to blow snow with the big boys. I have a 12 HP on it. It's only problem, a light weight unit.

AC808
quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234 'didn't come with a BRIGGS' ???? One more reason i think they're the best, they didn't come with BRIGGS engines:D:D:D
SNAP!!! Wasnt that the sound a Kohler connecting rod breaking? :D I can't belive you'd dis Briggs like that!