Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help With a Ford

Tom_Byrne

I, know, I know- but I'm trying to help a good friend out with with his tractor and I'm at the end of the line trying to research it, so I'm hoping someone has some knowledge of these. It's around a 1985 Ford 16LGT, the type with the fully enclosed engine compartment. It has a 16 hp kohler, hydro trans with a hydrolift. THE PROBLEM: It needs a muffler system, and there are no numbers on the engine. There seem to be a lot of different mufflers available for the 16 hp, and all I have is the tractor model and serial numbers. Anyone have a clue about what model Kohler might be in it? ANY help is appreciated.

It is probably a K341 if it is a single cylinder. If it is a twin, then I have no idea, since I have no experience with them.

Tom, This tractor was built by Jacobson for Ford if it has 2 round pipes for frame rails and will have a K 341 Kohler. The muffler is most likely a Jacobson part. I would expect is will be expensive. We are having to pay dealer cost 172.00 for a muffler we use in one of our repowers, because the unit is out of production and when these companies order low volumes the costs are high. We had a part quoted a couple of years ago and for 5 they would be about 45.00 each, but if we ordered 100 they would be 12.50 and 250 12.10. We have looked having some mufflers made, and most of the places you pay for the tooling and weld fixtures and have a minimum of 250 pieces. So don't be shocked if it takes a couple of sheckels for one if you can even get it.

Tom, You may want to do what I did on my 713S. I used a Cub Cadet muffler and bought the pipe fittings needed to run the exhaust to hook it up. A new Cadet muffler is between $20 and $30. It is working good on my tractor and appears to be a little quieter than a stock muffler which is in the $80 range.

My Dad has a 12 LGT and there is somekida airshield all around it. His steering gearbox is bad and he quit using it. I would like to get a drawing/adjustment porocedre for it.

I think I would do as Rod said and buy a Cub Cadet muffler. Then figure out what path the pipe has to go to fit in the muffler, take some measurements then go down to a muffler shop so they could weld something together. I think these exhaust pipes on these Kohler engines are pretty much the same size as on a Geo. I would think it would be cheaper than buying the factory built muffler system for that Ford. oops! did I say Ford?

I came out of the engine with a 90, ran a pipe across the front of the engine, two more 90s into the muffler (which points back toward the left side) and the exhaust exits through the hole in the hood of the 713S just like the original muffler. I already had the Cub muffler from an old engine, so my only cost was the galvanized 1 inch pipe fittings. I'll try to get home early enough to get a picture. No lights in the storage hut.

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like my buddy located one- he found an old Ford tractor dealer here in NJ with a pile of NOS parts laying around. Al, you were right about price, not cheap- $134.00! Rod, it seems this muffler is a rare bear. The tractor has no holes in the hood for exhaust to blow out- the muffler comes out of the engine, it has small holes that run the length of the muffler can pointing to the front of the tractor, and exhaust just sort of goes out the grille. JC, I'll see what he has or knows about the steering, I'll PM you with what I find.

I parted out a Ford 14LGT about 2 years ago. Yours is a K341 and takes a Ford/Jacobson part to replace, as factory, your muffler system. I would take one of the above suggestions and do a home made fix. I replaced the muffler on my AC712 and the cost was over $80 for the muffler for the OEM replacement part. Your tractor has a lot of stuff around the front of the motor because it is designed to be a "quite system" A lot of it could be eleminated with no adverse effect. Good Luck. As always please follow up w/pictures for the rest of us to learn from. Dan