Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Driveshaft ?

Chris727
I've determined that I won't be rebuilding the KT17II before spring so I'll be swapping a 16HP briggs into my 17GTHL. My main question is will a driveshaft from any B&S powered RBT work, or will it need to be out of a 7100 series such as a 7116H? Also should I re-use the rubber coupling used on the Kohler or are the old disc setups better? Thanks in advance. Chris

HubbardRA
Chris, The driveshafts are different lengths depending on the tractor chassis. You will need the shaft to fit the chassis. If you change engines, you may have to use some shim washers to make the driveshaft bolt up correctly to the engine. Be sure to loosen the set screw on the BGB shaft end to let the driveshaft float when you are bolting up to the engine. You do not want to put tension on the flex disks when bolting the driveshaft up. I would also use the original rubber coupler unless it is visibly deteriorated. I am re-doing a 7116H and I plan to use the original coupling, when I re-assemble the tractor. I'm working on a deal for a 20 Hp Onan to put in it. Overkill? Maybe, but fun.

RayS
I know that the drive shaft from a 3212 is the same lenght as what is in my 917H. I found out the hard way. I bought one for the 917H from my dealer when I put a 16hp Briggs in mine. When I got home and checked out the differences between the two I discovered they were the same. You will need the original rubber coupler as Rod has stated.

Chris727
Ray, I have noticed in parts diagrams for the 7100 series that the driveshafts which use the rubber coupler have a different end on them than the normal ones like on a FDT. I figured the 7116H (briggs powered) is basically the same tractor as the 7117(17GTHL) only with a longer driveshaft and no hydrolift. So at this point I've decided to look for a driveshaft out of a 7116H. Thanks for all your comments.

UCD
The early FDT's used a rubber coupler then went to the fiber disc front and rear. This was used upto and including the early 7100/900 series RBT's. The later Sovereign/900/2800 series use a rubber coupler in the front and a fiber disc in the rear.