Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ready for snow (hopefully)

keifer2k3

Even if it don't snow , ain't this a pretty pic? [img]/club2/attach/keifer2k3/tractor-in-snow-(web).jpg[/img] They're calling for 2-4" tonight and up to 14" :D tomorrow here in northern Illinois! First time I've had this blower on and running so I'm pretty excited. Sure hope the weather guys are right.. oh ya, I'm taking the day off too!:D:D

Hmmm, my picture didn't show up... I'll try again [img]/club2/attach/keifer2k3/tractor-in-snow-(web).jpg[/img] I must be having the same problem as Al.:(

The problem is in the file name. tractor-in-snow-(web) The dashes will sometimes cause problems spaces will also cause problems but the ( ) symbols will always cause a problem this is whit the club site sees tractor-in-snow-%20web%20 The club site program sees the ( ) in the file name as %20 and makes the file url invalid and can not be found on the site. Read the post on fixing the dreaded red X. It states no spaces or symbols in the file name. Change the file name to something like this tractorInSnowWeb and re-upload to the site and it will display with no problems. Al's problem is the diskette icon. This is caused by his camera not adding the required header code to the picture file. This can be fixed by using a photo program like Ifranview to resize (if necessary) and rename file with out spaces or symbols and save the file. This will add the necessary header code to the picture file. Then you can upload this file to the site and it will display with no problems. The picture is of a 6116 with snow blower and snow cab taken in the snow. Kent, Sam, Tue, and I can see it but no one else can.

Sorry guys. I work in graphic arts... I should have thought of that. Most of our print devices and RIP stations won't accept spaces and certain symbols either. Anyway renamed and reloading :) [img]/club2/attach/keifer2k3/tractorinsnow.jpg[/img] Ta Daa!

Well now that we got the picture... as you can see, no chains. Bad idea. Thought I may not need them on level surface with the blower doing most of the work. Nope! Got stuck several times. So now I'm going to get chains. Do they make chains for the front? Are they helpful?

Keith, instead of useing dashes in pic file names I use a period to seperate words so the file name is easier to read, so far haven't had any problems with it since days of old when guys here helped me learn how to upload pictures. That was a different site set-up and had to use somewhere like club photo to store pics. Noticed your snow blower has a different looking top, ie above the augar, then the older ones. Looks to me it would be harder to cut into snow deeper then the augar as it has less angle to it. Anyone know if my hunches hold snow?

I have run the same blower in 3 foot or better drifts. Take a stab high and back up and take it low, never found drift or pile I could not get through.

Good looking rig Keith, get some chains and you're in business. I've cut 4' deep drifts with the same blower style with no problems.

Hi nice looking tractor you got there, all you need is chains and your back in bussiness. How do you like the single stage snowblower? I have experence only with a 2 stage snowblower. I have heard that the single stage blowers work really well. Take Care Jason B

Keith, I am just up the road from you in Stillman Valley and I was throwing snow 15' to 20' with the 4"-6" on my driveway. I am kindof hoping for a real dumping to really work my 7117. I go up and down my driveway as fast as I can move the hydro lever, with only 100' or so of driveway I hardly get up to full speed before have to stop and go alover again.

I was fun with at my Dad's growing up with a 1/8 of a mile drive with the 42" blower and his 716H. We would go top speed until we heard the engine pulling down, then pull back on the hydro let the engine come back and then jam the hydro back forward.

Hi guys, Thanks for the compliments! I got chains for $35.00 at my local dealer and had a blast blowing snow for the fist time!!! :D We ended up with about 8" or so with a little drifting. I did all my drive and walks and two of my neighbors 'til I ran out of gas. :) I only have about 80' of drive and maybe 100' of sidewalk, so after about 15 minutes I was looking for fresh snow! Jason, I've never had a 2 stage blower (or any blower actually} so I don't have a comparison against my single stage but it workrd real well. It only clogged once and it unclogged itself after 10' or so. I was easily throwing snow 15-20'. I have a gravel drive and set the blower barely a 1/2" off the ground and that seemed to be perfect for gravel and pavement. I did'nt notice any gravel flying... we'll see this spring I guess. You take care too! Carl, nice to see a member who's practically my neighbor in internet land. Nice tractor! I've got my eyes open for a 7000 series. Would love to own one! My 6116 does a real nice job though for me, I had to stay in 1st gear to avoid bogging down. I also have a 4208 that I'll be selling this spring. I hate to let any tractor go... but I don't have time, space or money to keep it up. Its been a good mowing tractor. Looks like a golf course when I'm done! Maybe meet you in person one day. Does any one know of a Simpicity implement that I could pull to spread salt? I know theres other brand names out there, but if Simplcity makes something I'd want to go that route first. Again, thanks to everyone for the complments and to the club leaders for helping me with the pic. My hats off to best run site on the web that I know of! Proud to be a member.

Hi Keith, how about getting one of those Fertilizer spreaders that can be pulled behind a tractor? My local Nursing Home uses a hand held fertilizer spreader to apply salt and it works pretty good so I would think that one being pulled behind the tractor would work good to spread salt. Talk Care Jason B

Hi Jason. Ya i seen one of those at Farm and Fleet. Thats probably what I'll end up with if I do decide to purchase... but I was hoping for something old, orange and made of metal:) It would just look cooler!