Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire bead breaker

RedbarnRick

I am wondering if any members own or have used the inexpensive tire bead breakers I've seen on Ebay. Or if someone can recommend a decent one from another source I would appreciate it.

I have one that I bought from one of the Chuck Homier traveling tool sales for $25. I have used it to break down both garden tractor and automobile tires. Since it is the automobile size, you can't fit a front garden tractor wheel on it for dismounting the tire unless you remove the bearing races. I haven't tried a tire yet that I couldn't break loose from the rim, even though the small tires can't be dismounted on the machine.

I have both the large and small manual tire changers. Both work well, the only problem with the large one is that you have to remove the inner beaering race from the front wheel in order for it to fit on the machine. Of course, some tires have been rusted onto the wheel for so long that they just won't come off without brute force....

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I have both the large and small manual tire changers. Both work well, the only problem with the large one is that you have to remove the inner beaering race from the front wheel in order for it to fit on the machine. Of course, some tires have been rusted onto the wheel for so long that they just won't come off without brute force....
I have a universal bead breaker, fits from 4" up to 22.5" truck tires that I know of. :D And they all fit on the same "machine" base. It has never failed me yet, although it does make you "sweat" sometimes...;) [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/jan05858.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/jan05857.jpg[/img]

Done spent too many hot summer days in Ne as a kid bustting down old farm impl tires that been on for too long in choice places like the hog or cattle yard. Except for a few bike tires and the front tires on my tractors, which work in the 6 inch vise, I haven't bustted down a tire since I left the farm. I'll go hammer nails in below zero temps to make the dollars needed to pay the guy at the tire shop 7 bucks each first. Not too many things I won't do for myself, but tires are near the top of that short list.

I have to agree with you. If the tire wasn't bad when i started, it surely would be when i was done, Sometimes bent rim in process of tire removal. Never had a true bead braker, just sledges and pry bars. I have same luck with exhaust systems on cars.

Well as trailer mechanic, I have to agree with Dan. I do it the same way. How ever I dont use my trailer tire sledg and bars on my tractor tires. I just use a mallet, a screwdriver with th e tip slightly bent, and a small tire bar I got from NAPA. Works pritty well. I have been eyeing thouse small changers but havent gotten one Elon

I've not had a lot of trouble with the rear tire on the tractors, but the front are a pain. Rather take a beating than try to fix them myself. Bloody fingers torn up rims. Tire shop me on them. Ken

I have an acme screw about 2' long that I lock in the vise and with a couple of large screw drivers and small tire irons I have always been able to win over those tuff ones. Works pretty much like the old manual tire changers I used to have in the gas station. I did buy a small tire changer from Northern Tool last spring but have not had the need for it yet.

I've got a Harbor Freight manual changer for car tires,etc. The bead breaker would probably work OK on tractor tires,just haven't had the opprotunity to try it.

If you do get a bead breaker (I agree with Marty, have a shop do it)and discover some rust or debris on the bead make sure that you get it all off before remounting, I thought that I had cleaned my front rims good and found that I had to break the bead again and use the breaker again. In addition use plenty of "soap" when mounting with spoons to avoid tears in the bead.

I bought the small tire changer from Northern Tool. Have used it on both front and rear tires, 8" and 12", and it works fine.