Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Results from today's hunt

bigcountry

Well I took today to go tractor hunting. Checked all the local dealers 2 JD dealers, one Kubota dealer, and one Cub dealer. No signs of Simplicity or AC life anywhere. However I did find a nice Honorable Mention, a Honda HT-3813 lawn tractor. It has the 13hp 2 cylinder inline engine, liquid cooled, horizontal shaft, shaft driven, 5 spd. stick. Also has a 38" deck. Picked it up for $40 from one of the JD dealers. Dealer said it needs a starter, said the original owner told them to keep it when he found out how much the starter cost ($350 + having to pull engine to install). Overall it is a solid machine. Very good shape. Don't know how old it is yet.

Gonna have to move north with that one Max, put a cab on it and with that liquid coolded engine you have a simple heatted cab.

Max that sounds like a good find. Good luck on finding that starter, parts for the older Hondas are getting real scarce. I know we have very few Honda GTs coming into the shop now because of that. You might try an auto electric rebuild shop to go thru the started. If I can help you with info on your 3813 let me know as we still have shop manuals and "partsmart" software at the shop.

Good deal Max. Now all you need to do is find one with a bad engine and a good starter. That's a project that could have a lot of potential.

Take the parts from an older tractor and put a starter-generator on it. The bendix type starter is missing from my 16 Hp B/S on my 7116H that I am restoring, so I am going to convert to a s-g. Easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem. Bought my s-g with voltage regulator on ebay for $35. Crank pulley and belt were with it.

I went to the local Honda Engine dealer and they told me that they could get the starter, just it would be $350. They also said that the armature by itself is $110. They gave me a number to a guy who works on them and collects them. I called him up and he told me he could fix it for less than $100. I can do most engine work, and electrical work, but this Honda has tons of switches and relays and stuff that I do not want to mess with, and that I'm scared to mess with.

Max you hit on the reason most shops hate the Honda riders. Their wiring harness design is just plain overkill. I'll see if I can round up a schematic and try to email it your way if that would help.

Is it anything like this one I got from a friend's sister? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42862&whichpage=2

Yep, its exactly identical to that one. Just mine has a deck, which is in surprisingly good shape. I'm going to take it to the guy this morning who I called yesterday about the starter. By the way, you can download the owners manual over the Honda website free of charge. However the service manuals are $40/ea. from them. Now if I could only figure out how to post pictures, then you could see what it looks like all together.

Just got back from that guy's place. He told me that the starter was missing a bunch of the brushes and that I would probably be best off to get it rebuilt, which is something he doesn't do. So they told me how to get it off (which is gonna take a LONG time), because I have to take the battery tray out, unbolt the driveshaft, take this huge shroud off, then finally unbolt the starter from its bracket. The man said it could be rebuilt for less than $100. I hope its worth the effort.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Is it anything like this one I got from a friend's sister? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42862&whichpage=2
Have you done anything with yours? If not, I'd be interested in buying the starter if its good or the whole engine from you for spare parts.