Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Only one Backfire now

KSever

Got this AC314 running pretty good so far after buying a new carb,points,plug, and condensor. Only One problem that seems to go away. I can start this tractor let it run for 3-4 minutes and start blowing snow or pushing snow whatever I am doing with it and the engine will let out One backfire after about 5 minutes of running time and try and die. I let off on the throttle and give it a little choke for a second and it runs fine again until I'm done using the tractor (which tonight was 1 1/2 hours). It does this everytime I start this 14 HP Kohler and it's got me stumped. Any body got anymore ideas on this one? Kris

KServer--had the same issue with my landlord, out of the blue, not too long ago. It turned out that it was a gas starvation problem caused by rust in the tank. Make sure gas is getting to the carb--it can be intermittent, as I learned, leading you to believe it's an ignition problem. Mine would run, and once the gas in the line was used, the low flow would cause the thing to sputter, backfire and almost die if you didn't let up on the throttle. Flow couldn't keep up with high throttle. Pick up a clear filter and keep an eye on the flow. Good luck and I hope this helps..

Kserver, Jim right had the problem with my AC914. Somehow a leaf got into the gas tank, drove me nuts trying to figure out what the problem was, happened at anytime,some times cut grass for an hour no back fire. Than bang. Did a lot of thing think this and that, finally took the tank off empted it. Out came the leaf. no problem since. Ken

The problem sounds like it has something to do with gas to me too. So you bought a brand new carb? Is the timing set right also? and are the cooling fins clear? Are the valves set right?? And is the fuel pump working? That's all I can think of.I've hardly spent any money on my kohlers, just clean the carbs, and away they go.

I believe I found a chip of Kreem in the gas tank. I was sure it wasn't a piece of rust in the gas tank since I did coat the tank with Kreem, sure enough there's a small chip that looks like Kreem.
quote:
Is the timing set right also? and are the cooling fins clear? Are the valves set right?? And is the fuel pump working? That's all I can think of.I've hardly spent any money on my kohlers, just clean the carbs, and away they go.
Actually I've had more problems with this one Kohler than the 3 other Briggs I have. Had to change the carb (worn out), points were bad, head gasket blown, replaced the coil and condensor. I have also cleaned out the entire engine since I picked up this tractor, took off all the shrouding outside and even the oil pan to clean out the gunk in the bottom. Put new gaskets on the oil pan like I usually do when I pick up a used motor because they seem to always leak. So hopefully this weekend after I run down to Illinois I'll take this gas tank out and dump the chip out of it. Carb was not NOS but it was professionally rebuilt with all new bushings, throttle shaft, choke shaft, float, and all the other little parts that come in the kit. Picked this carb up for $47 [img]/club2/attach/KSever/kohler carb.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Actually I've had more problems with this one Kohler than the 3 other Briggs I have.
Hmmm... Maybe you oughta send that whole tractor up here to me, then you won't have to worry about it:D:D:D.