Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cold Hydro lift

cwm1276

On my 7117H I would start it up and go to lift the blower and the blower would not lift. Once I drove forward a little bit, then the lift seemed to work much better. Also it seems like it is not making the down force that it did a month ago. That might be from the lift rod being out of adjustment, or the blower ski's, I will double check them.

I have a 3212H and just got my hydro lift working after replaceing the "O" ring in the push/pull cylinder. Mine uses 10W30 motor oil. Sounds like yours may have the wrong oil in it or maybe it just needs to be changed. The drive belt for the hydro pump may be loose as well. Good Luck...

When you are having trouble with the hydrolift do you also experience a delay in the hydro drive moving the tractor? Based upon what I've read here in the past, I'd check the oil level and make sure you are using a Simplicity filter on the hydro pump.

It was only at start up and I really did not want to try to move the tractor much with the snowblower down in the garage. Could the blower freeze to the ground or other hitch parts freeze up a bit that once I lifted the blower by hand(got off and just lifted on the top of it) that it loosened up for the lift to go, but I did not see any movement of the lift.

Simplicity had a tech bulletin about winter warm ups of hydrostatic drives/pump system for 7100/gth-l/soveriegns. They said you should let them start at 1/2 speed of engine and then after x time(I don't remember the bulletin number) shift to full speed and begin operation of equipment.

In cold weather the 7000/7100/700/900 series with Sundstrand Hydrostatic and the 7100/900 with hydro lift are sluggish and need to warm up a at speed for a couple min. to get full operation.

Thanks guys, at 6 this morning I was going nuts. Running the snowblower reminded me why they have gone to the foot pedal hydro. I would have one hand on the lift and the other starting to back up and no hand to steer with.

If you have any water in the hydro fluid from condensation, it can freeze into ice chunks in cold weather and block the flow of hydraulic fluid. Warmup of the tractor will help to lower the thickness of the fluid and also melt the ice chunks. A friend runs his hydraulic systems with no breather on the system to prevent moisture condensation in the fluid.