Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ONAN Charging System ???

aleman77x

I have a 4040 with a CCKA engine. The tractor starts and runs fine(with fully charged battery), after 10 min running, the headlights dim down to nothing and the tractor will not restart if shut off. I assume that I have a problem with the charging system. I searched the site for old posts and there were tons (archived posts are great), and found several charging system posts one specific(posted by AL 12/31/2000) explains how to check the CCKB system (I assume its very similar to the CCKA, if not exact), my problem is that I dont know how to get to the stator (nor do I know what it looks like), or the rectifier assy or regulator. Based on the above mentioned symptoms, I I think that one of those is my problem. I had the gas tank, steering tower, ect.. apart, but figured that I would consult more knowledgable people before I had the whole thing apart and found that the fix for my problem didn't require all of that work. I have the repair manual, but couldnt find them in there. Any help for identifiying my problem or where to look first would be appreciated. Thanks AL

My onan book is at home. The stator is behind the flywheel where ac current is made by the flywheel magnets rotating past the stator. a couple of AC wires should feed out to the regulator/rectifier. get this pub Page 2-13 starts the charging circuit. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_504_00_LT_SA.pdf

On the 4040 the rectifier/regulator is also behind the flywheel. Be careful & use a good puller to remove the flywheel or you will pull the threads or crack the flywheel. StanD

First thing I would do is have the battery load tested. It might be taking a charge, but will not hold that charge under load. Then I would check out the chargeing system. You should have at least 13.5 volst going to the battery.

Thanks for the help guys. I will load test the battery first, then take it from there. Maybe a stupid question, but can I get to the stator , rectifyer assy, by taking the skid plate off or do I have to take the ges tank off, ect, ect.. I was having trouble taking the flywheel cover off, while troubleshooting earlier. thanks again Al

Sorry Al, but you'll have to pull the engine to do anything on a chargeing circut on a CCKA. My advice is to set up a test stand that you can run the engine on so you can diagnose and repair it before placeing it back in the tractor. Don't forget you can up it to a CCKB pretty easy if you can locate the parts. The extra 4hp really help. If you have to buy a stator then I would recomend getting the entire chargeing circut for a KB. It will let you mount the rectifier and regulator outside the engine for access later and give you a 20 amp charger instead of a 15 amp system.

So far all is great advice (as usual). Most all the parts are available (I stock a lot of them). Onan made it a little weird; The stator for the CCKB is available, NOT the flywheel. The CCKA Flywheel is, NOT the stator! I would look for AC voltage from the two black stator wires (if you can get to them...),if those prove OK, the put a rectifier/regulator like Kohler or even a Radio Shack 35 amp (I think it's full wave.... been a while). Dave's right with the HP increase, It'll take a while for you to lose that 'stupid grin'~ LOL. To do it 'right', The manifold, carb, air filter system, fan shroud & heat shields need to be changed. Let us know what you come up with! JP