Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16HP Briggs rebuild tips

Paul_B

I'm having a guy rebuild my 16HP briggs for my 3416H (Single cyl, horizontal). Here's what's going to be done below. Anything else I should have him do? Also how hard are these parts to get? Bore .020" over New Piston (.020" over) New Rings New Piston Pin New Connecting Rod (STD.) New Valve Guides New Valve Springs New Intake Valve (The old one is worn) Valve Job

If you have model and type of engine, you can download parts list from Briggs and Stratton web site. As far as rebuilding, how far is it being taken down? From parts decription, it looks lke a bore job and valve grind. Or was bore .020 over already?

Hi, While it is apart I would carefully look at the Camshaft where the ignition points push rod rubs. If it shows ANY wear on the shoulder where the pushrod contacts it, I would replace it. This throws the timing off. If you replace a camshaft, always replace the lifters also. Al Eden

Hi, Also check the main bearings. I would put a dial indicator on the crank and if there is over 1 thousandth of an inch of play in the bearings, I would replace them also. Al Eden

Thanks for all the tips! The motor is currently standard bore, but will be going .020" over to clean things up. Al: I'm going to just get new main bearings to be safe.