Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Heated Cab by Carrhart

Al

Hi, I know that 14" of snow is just flurries to a number of you. Today we got 14" and I spent 9 hours with Old "Henry" plowing snow today. My left "steering" arm is about dead and the underused tendons under my knees hurt from the clutch and brakes. Anyway I survived, but at 66 I am not as durable as I used to be. My cab on this unit is warmed by Carrharts, and the windows never frost over. Anyway Jim my starter man and parts mgr. took some pics of me and Henry. Got everything pretty well cleaned up here and slipped up and did our Church and the Methodist Church next door. 3 of my guys and I are going to Kohler and Tecumseh service school tomorrow. I always enjoy these. It is not so much what you learn from the school as much as what you learn from the rest of the people that attend. I also absorb everything I can from the program. Al and Henry pushing snow [img]/club2/attach/Al/DSCN1733FordPushingSnowFrn copyRed.JPG[/img] Al and Henry piling snow [img]/club2/attach/Al/DSCN1732FordPlowSnowRRvw copyRed.JPG[/img] Al and Henry piling snow [img]/club2/attach/Al/DSCN1729.FordPlowSnow05JPG copyRed.JPG[/img] Anyway it was a beautiful day otherwise and it was good to be outside for a while. Al Eden

OK, my turn to fix a couple. :D [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/al6.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/al5.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/al4.jpg[/img] FYI Al, these downloaded to me as bitmaps, I had to convert them to jpeg images. Dont know if that will help you or not. ;) I'm almost computer illiterate, so I cant explain it.

Cool pic Al, glad to see the midwest get some wet stuff. If the way the wording that shows on the pics is the way you have them titled, they're not posting for you because of the spaces between the words. To keep words seperated when titling my pics I use a . ie....DSCN1733.Al.and.old.henery.plowing.jpg If your saving them in photo shop you should be able to loose the DSCN1733 when you type in the title after openning 'save as'

Spent a lot of time on similiar setup while on the farm. Most of the time with just the rear blade. Amazing the blade started out behind a 24 hp 8n and at one time was on the back end of MM- G 1000 Vista. Was like tail on elephant. Could barely see it from seat.

Al, Nice pics. I have moved a lot of snow with a similar rig. Is that a Superior loader on the tractor, and is the tractor an 860? And is that a Ford blade on the back?

Al, We had an 8N with a dozer blade on it that I spent my days on. Those Henrys were all just a nice sized tactor to have around. Around here an N with no attachments that runs is bringing between $2500 and $3000. An old farmer friend has told me he bought a brandy new N, I forget 8 or 9, with a field plow for $800. Joe

Hi Nice pictures,you really got a lot of snow. What model number is that Ford? It looks to me to be a Ford Jubalee or an 860.Take Care Jason B

Hi, A: correct Superior loader 72" bucket. B: Correct 861 Ford 5 spd, live PTO, Power (less) steering. 550 lb weigthes in each wheel plus about5 to 600 lbs of fluid. or over 1000lbs per side. C: correct Ford dearborn 6 ft blade. Had it with my 8N, Jubilee, Fordson Dexta Diesel and now the 860. Really need about a 7 or 8ft blade. Henry have trust in each other has been tested many times. Rooting stumps, building projects clearing bursh etc. I did a small subdivision about 12 years ago and cleared a bunch of trees and brush off and had a brush fire about 20 by 40, when the fire was down to outside brush and coals, I had him right in the coals and pushed the whole thing together so it would all burn. Everything was coals except right behind and under the bucket. Henry never let me down. The paint was all soot and smoke black and it took about a year for it to weather off. My wife bought him for my birthday about 26 years ago after I sold my Dexta and 8n and realized I had to have a tractor. She gave 2900. and last Summer I turned down two offers for 6000. Regarding the DSCN numbers, We put them on with the Photoshop text box. I put the DSCN numbers on the pictures because I name each individual file when I save the pix in one of a huge number of folders. With the repower work I often have maybe 10 pictures that are only slightly different, so when I want to use them I can get exactly the print I want. I several thousand pics in the hard drive and have worn out one camera. Smoke comes out of the camera when it is turned on and starts to focus. I think the gears in the focus mechanism are worn out. When we start on a repower project we take tons of photos, so we can look at them and fill in the outlines in procedures etc. Plus once we have a project going we sell the tractor and we keep a huge number of pics so we can refer back when we have no tractor. I am puzzeled by the bitmap. When I saved a copy in Photoshop said Jpg, jpeg. I checked that. I also saved it at 640 by 480 My version of Photoshop won't save as a jpg except exactly as it is imported from the camers. You have to (Save a copy) to save anything that has had any changes made to it. Then you can save it as a jpg jpeg. I usually save it as it comes from the camera in high or max definition. To e-mail it etc, I open it and reduce the size from like 26 x18 down to around 8 x 6.5 640 x 480 is about 8.5 x6 + Then I save a copy as a jpg in low or medium quality which typically gets me a pix of around 60k. Then I ofen put the title line on using the Photoshop Title box. I then normally sawe the file with the same name as the original except, I "Save a copy" and it adds copy to the filename and I add Red so I know it is reduced to e-mail to someone. I have no problem e-mailing these pictures, but I can't seem to get it right here. I am os grateful to those of you that bail me out on this. Hope I can "get it right soon." Thanks again. Al Eden

Al I have the same problem, dont feel so bad. I have used Photoshop and Pagemaker sence it first came out. I have been able to do the fix my self most of the time. I think Photoshop has a large hidden file ID that uses up a lot of script time in the down loads here.

Now I can understand your sore clutch foot. If you have clutch pedal in normal position, it is quite high. But if I remember correctly it can repositioned lower. However in doing so, you will lose your "live pto power feature"..

Hi, I have it down, The pain stops if I slide back up on the back of the seat which straightens out my knee a little. I think if the pedal was about 6 ins. fwd it wouldn't bother, but after 5 or 6 hrs of the leg from knee to heel to allow toes on the clutch being slightly back from vertical seems to be related. I could never drive a Sprint car with their straight up and down pedaling. Plus I could never even get STUFFED in the cockpit. Al Eden

I love the Simplicity's but my dream machine I have always wanted to restore is a Ford 8 or 9n. I love these machines and read many books on them My only problem is when I am done, I have nowhere to play with it. The biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that we actually need one.

Nice unit Al. :D:D I feel your pain on the clutch part though. I'd hate to know how many hours I spent on an 8N as a kid. My spring job after school was plowing and disking all the little fields the big tractors could not get to. We had what we called a "red belly" and a "grey belly". Plowed with one and disked with the other. Then in summer, one pulled the hay wagons and the other got the bush hog for the orchards. In the fall, there was a pallet lift on the back of both for carrying apple totes. In winter, one carried a pto driven air compressor for trimming trees. Definately an all around go anywhere machine. And in 13 years on the farm, I cant remember either one ever being broke down.