Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire widths in snow and ice

lboy1971

What size tires do you guys like to use in the winter? I have some tractors with 23-10.5x12,23-8.50x12 and the narrow 6-12s. I use 2 link chains on all of them and generally have the best luck with the narrow 6-12s. We have alot of ice under the snow we got yesterday so even with chains there's alot of slipping. I see now why people like chains with the small pieces of iron welded on them.

I personally like the wider/larger tires like the 23x10.5x12 or 26x12x12 AG tires without chains. On these tires you will have to add more weight than on smaller tires to prevent them from floating on top of the snow. The lugs on my tires have been cut on an angle for tractor pulling which helps eliminate the need for chains. The smaller tires do, however, have the definite advantage of splitting the snow instead of floating on top of it. This is why the smaller tires require less weight be added to the tractor. If it is a turf tire, then the smaller, the better, with chains being an absolute necessity. My 23x8.50x12 turfs won't even drive through a 6 inch snow without chains. Also I recommend narrow, tri-rib tires on the front to give you the optimum steering traction.

Well that means I don't have enough weight on my tractor yet then...I just bought new 23x10.50x12 Super Lugs and put about 6 1/2 gallon WW fluid in them and I was slipping alot the other day trying to push about 8-10 in of snow..I was really impressed with how well it went without any chains though..but with my skinny 130lb butt and WW fluid wasn't enough... so I hopped on my 64 Landlord with the blower to finish the job..

I use the 23 x10.5 x 12 ag tires with chains that have the welded cross bars and have no slippage problems. However the winter operating weight of the 3410 dozer tractor is about 1350# weight makes ALOT of difference. My loader tractor never really slips much with just regular chains but once again it weights 12,600#. In snow you just have to have enough weight to get the tires down to the ground, wider tires more weight.

We had about 6" of snow a couple weeks back, and I just used my 23x8.5x12 Firestone ag tires on my 416 to move the snow with. Didn;t have the weights on, but I thought they did a good job. Just ordered 2 tri-rib tires for the from from rustybore on ebay. I'll have a whole bunch of parts arriving soon:D

I think we got about 3-4 inches of snow a couple days ago. But we had freezing rain last week so the driveway is really slick. I was able to push snow fairly well on the level ground with my Allis 710 6speed,42inch plow,23-8.5x12 tires and 2 link chains. When the drifts got too big and tires spun too much I got out my 3112H with hydro lift,42" blower,23-10.5x12 tires with 2 link chains. I also had a counter weight in the rear lift. I blew the drifts away and was able to make it out of my driveway to the road once. My driveway has a steep incline by the road and it's ice covered too. I didn't have my possi trac locked down though so it was one wheel spinning time.

Hello guys, I am new to the site. We just had a super wet 6" snow on top of unfrozen ground and I had a good chance to try out my new tires. I have a 7116H with 23x10.50-12 Ag tires. I loaded them with WW fluid and installed motorcycle ice racing studs into the tires. I skid logs out of the woods and the carbide studs let me walk over downed branches and slippery roots without losing traction. The setup worked great in the snow also. I never had so much traction. I will have to be careful not to break the tractor! I like the fact that I don't have the bumpy ride that the chains used to give me. For those unfamiliar with the studs, They look like a sheet metal screw with a 1/4" hex head. The head is carbide and has sharp edges. They are available in different screw lengths so be sure to get them short enough that they don't puncture through to the inside. Some of the motorcycle ice racers "cheap out" and use sheet metal screws. I am sure that they would be inferior to the carbide studs. Try it, It works GREAT! Enjoying the site.

Well I have always used the 23X8.50-12's until last year then I had some 23X10.50-12 ags Ithink I like the ag tires better, But I think they float alittle more because they are wider, I'm wanting to try my 725 with the skinny's to see how they work..

A note of caution to those useing studs and or sheet metal screws. They do pull out and if you have a vehicle that has worn or low profile tires they can puncture a hole. Just a note of caution since you don't want flats come spring.

I hate the wide 23x10.50x12 Carlisle Ag treads in the snow. They seem to get stuck alot easier than the narrower profiles( even with chains on). My best results are with 23x8.50x12 ag treads, however I am using a Good Year ag in 23x10.50x12 on the Conquest and its profile is not near as wide as the Carlisle of the same size. So far they perform almost as good as the 8.50's I've used in the past. Just my experience...