Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity314

Question on grounding just occured to me

Simplicity314
I'm in the process of putting an engine in one of the 6008s I got (Thanks Kirk!) and a question occured to me: Why is there the heavy-gauge ground wire (that goes from the head on the vert. engines) to the frame? Isn't the engine grounded anyway since it's bolted directly to the frame, except for a few that have rubber mounts?? Thanks

HubbardRA
That is the primary ground from the battery. The chassis is actually grounded through the mounting bolts, through the engine, to this wire. Since the starter is the major load from the battery, it is better to ground directly to the engine block than to pull the power through the chassis. The current path is shorter and flows through larger conducters, giving less resistance to current flow. You will probably find that the battery is not grounded to the chassis at any other point. Many tractors do the gounding this way, but sometimes both the engine and chassis are grounded directly to the battery.