Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Military Engine Re-power....pics

DavidG

Ok, this isn't AC/simplicity related, but I thought it might be of interest anyway. I have an old Bolens 1050 tube frame tractor that has been sitting around along time , taking up real estate, and killin' grass. So.. today I had some free time and thought about a re-power project using one of my 4 cylinder military engines. I picked up a bunch of these awhile ago at a military auction and got several working nice. They are 32cu in. , air cooled and light weight..(70lbs). Looks like it might be a fairly easy job to connect it up. The bolens has a clutch and pulley setup like the early Cub cadets with the drive pulley inline with the clutch and driveshaft. Would basically need to run a belt down from the engine to the pulley, like the original wisconsin did. Today I just sat it in place to see if it would fit/and work. If I can get some time in the next week or so will try to do a temporary bolt-in and connection to see how it runs and drives. [img]/club2/attach/davidg/IMG_0716.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/davidg/IMG_0713.JPG[/img]

What is horsepower of motor ? Is it a 12 or twenty four volt system. I bet it is real quiet also.

Ron, The military rates these at 6 hp, but a friend of mine builds small single person aircraft and uses these in his. He says stock, they are closer to 15-18, and if you do some simple mods to the the carb. and intake, you can get 22 hp out of them. They run very smooth too. Almost no vibration. As far as the voltage...it is 24v. I have the 24v starter, but it rope starts very easily. I have another one that will be used for a small airboat project.....if I ever get more time. Dave

Motor looks like a two cylinder miltary motor I had. And they told me 3to 5 hp. It was on a 24volt generator, Was rope start. For some reason, I thought it was Kohler or Robin motor.

I have 3 of these engines brand new in their crates.They are all roller bearing and made by Teledyne.I've been saving them for a A/C Simplicity retirement project.My dream is to put one in a 900 series tractor.

Martin... The one in the picture was made by the Chrysler Outboard Div., but I have some that are made by Continental, Teledyne, and another company that slips my mind at the moment. Parts are all interchangable though. Keith... That 900 series re-power would be an interesting project......

Might try a large pully on it and going with a S/G. Are these engines aluminium or cast or cast sleeve or what. A V4 rated at 6hp. Seems like some great millitary minds at work. lol

Long time ago we had these engines on 5Kw generators but were made on a 24 VDC version as well. Seems like the 3Kw had a 2 cyl version of this mil spec engine. The govt wanted 100% diesel power so many of these will show up in new condition. I believe this is a 100% pressure lube engine with hydraulic lifters-should be a good one when it is "civilianized" Be sure you have all the sheetmetal in place for cooling. Ike

You are right Ike, these are from 3 or 5kw generators. They are pressure lubricated, but are solid lifters. You are definitey right about the cooling and the shrouds.... My friend that build airplanes with these removes them , but for stationary use or (low speed), if you don't have them on, they will overheat and lock up pretty quick. Out of the 12 I got at the auction I have 10 that run well or need minor repairs. Hopefully this weekend I will do some more work on this and get some more pics. I am going to tee into the governor oil feed line and run a dash mount oil pressure gauge. Also may tap into one of the 2 oil pan drain plugs and run a temp. gauge as well. I also need to figure out a way to get some clearence around the mufflers so I can get the hood and grill back on. We have our big swap meet this weekend at my engine/tractor club. Maybe i'll get some good ideas and motivation then.

John, The ones that I got were set up to run @ 3600 rpms continually to drive a generator. There is a spring tension adjustment screw for the governor, so it can be adjusted to whatever you want.... I have mine set so it will idle down to 200 or so rpms...(guessing). If you go to www.Saturnsurplus.com , there is a link to my friends website.... Bruce Hotz home built aircraft.. He has some better pictures of this motor,(and others) and also goes into some of the technical info. Dave

I have seen on this site a discussion where the general rule of thumb is 2 HP/KW for engines on a generator. I think that was for gasoline engines and don't recall if diesels were brought up. The discussion had to do with what size tractor engine would handle a rear mounted PTO driven genset. Anyhow, using that rule as a guide that would be around 10 HP on a 5 KW generator.