Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
BradW

Warmer.

BradW
I am interested if anyone has bought or built a block heater before for a B-10\B-112. The motors on my tractors won't start at 10 degrees and below F*. I don't know if it's possible or not thank you for your help in advance. -BradW

Simplr
Hey Brad yes there are some members that I remember using engine heaters of different types. One type is the magnetic type that will stick to the side of the oil pan or engine block that you can plug into an 110 volt outlet that gets hot and in return keeps you engine oil from getting thick. Also I have seen some that screw into the oil dipstick tube that do the same thing the same way. I myself just use a synthetic motor oil "Mobil 1" 5 w 30 in the winter months only and I have been doing this for about 8 years now with good results. But I will not run my engine with this oil when the tempertures are above 40 degree's at that time I change it back to a stright 30w oil. I hope others can help you more. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

StanS
Keep in mind that these gadgits are not really warmers. IF... you put the "ole gal" in her stall at night with a warm engine the correct heat stick will keep the oil warm enough so she'll turn easy in the morning. Old trick #1. Cover engine compartment with very thick heavy (horse) blanket. Yes, it really helps. Old trick #2. Open mixture needle half turn to start. It's better to enrich the mixture for starting by adding fuel and choking one half (more or less) than to choke the air only. Saab used a trick like this with it's 3 cylinder 2 cycle auto engine. Only, they used a choke cable to open the coarsly threaded mixture screw by a quarter turn. Very easy and fast starting engine in the dead of Sweden's winter. The modern small engine does nearly the same thing with it's primer bulb - press 12 times and choke. Of course the newer chokes won't close off the throat as tightly as they did before the primer bulb. I hope my roamings help. Stan