Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor rear rims & tire question

rsachs

Do all the Broadmoors rear wheels attach in the same manner? I made a mistake in ordering some Super Lugs for my 1975 "System 5010" which is a Broadmoor style tractor. The problem is I ordered tires that are 20x10-8 and I needed 20x8-10, which is not available in the Carlisle Super Lug. When I looked up specs on the older Broadmoors, I noticed they were 8" diameter rear rims not 10" like mine. So if I could find a set of older Broadmoor rims that mount by sliding over the axle and are pinned, would the 20x10-8 tires fit that rim? I think I will first try to exchange the Super Lug for a Cheng Shin Gator ATV tire that is 22x8-10. I was in a hurry to get the free shipping from Tires Unlimited and now have tires I can't use. Well at least the 23x10.5-12 are not a problem for the AC312, so I only messed up half my own Christmas gift.

If I recall most of my broadmoors had 18x9.50-8 tires or 17x9.50-8 tires. The older broadmoor rims should work fine on your tractor but you will need to get the tube that bolts to the wheel. Basically the tube which slides over the axle and gets pinned on, is not part of the wheel but rather it bolts onto the wheel. If I get a chance I'll post a pic which may better explain this.

Chris is right,The older Broadmoor wheels will work if you get the axle hubs too...All are avalible new still through your dealer..This might take you to the manual for part numbers..might have to put 990425 in the box.. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start

I have a 6008 parts tractor with original rims, the pin type. If you want the rims and/or shafts let me know (provided I can get them off!). Tires on them are turf, but they're good.

Thanks guys for the explaining the 8" rim and hub/shaft set up on the older broadmoors. My 10" rims are welded to the tube sleeve and are original. Has anyone tried to mount 20x10-8 on rims that had 18x9.50-8? I'm assuming they will fit the rim, but I'm concerned the wider tires will not leave clearence for the tiller lift rod. This tractor is used for tilling and snow plowing since I don't have the 42" deck for it.

You keep confusing me with your numbers here...What do you have?? 10 in wheels and 8 in tires? You can't mount 8 in. tires on 10 in. wheels... Or are you asking if the 20x10x8 tires will fit the older Broadmoor wheels..If that is what you are asking then yes the tires will fit the older style wheels..In fact there are several members here that have mounted the bigger size tires on their older Broadmoors.I planned to do the same if I ever get a chance to put my 717 back together...I don't have a answer for you about the clearance though..

I just got 20x10x8 AGs im going to put on my 707, Im using the one pice rims from a 5008 Broadmoor. As far as I know all the Broadmoors came with 8 inch rear rims. I'll post some pic's when I get it on the tractor. I'm going out today to get some washer fluid. Elon

To help clear up the confusion, I need a set of the broadmoor style 8" rims and hubs. Thanks to Simplicity314 it looks like I will have a set. I looked at the clearance issue and it looks like there is lots of room. Elon I look forward to the pics.

Here they are mounted on the rims. I didn't get a chance to put them on yet.:( Maybe tomarow? I got these used off of ebay for $40 with shipping. They are a bit dirty but they look almost brand new:D I but 5 gallons of washer fluid in each today for a total of 64lbs per wheel. Not too bad Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/Img_0067.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/Img_0068.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/Img_0069.jpg[/img]

The 20x10-8 tires will fit fine on any of the older Broadmoor 8" wheels. The earlier models (thru the 717)had "2-piece" wheels, where there was a bolt-on hub. On the later models (727 and later) a one-piece wheel was used. The 10" wheels were used only on the 5010. One caution, though - I do not think the wheels from the 6008 tractor will work. The axle shaft was a different size on the 6008 and will not fit on your Broadmoor. Try to find Broadmoor wheels - they are very common. I have a set of the one-piece style, in excellent condition (sandblasted and new white powder coat) that I would sell for $40 /pair. Tom

I put a set of Carlisle 20x10-8 ag tires on my 717 with the original wheel and and 3 bolt hub assembly. If you have a pulley mounted to left side of the trans to run a tiller or revitalizer, the bigger tires may rub it. My trans was modified to use the later 3 speed input shaft in order run a rear PTO. I put on the big tires, fired it up, ran around the yard with a big dumb grin on my face until I smelled burning rubber. The pulley ate a nice ring into the sidewall of the tire - didn't wreck it, but looks pretty bad, so be careful. Your best bet will be to use the 727/728/738 style wheels that are one piece - the old style hubs are pricey new, but are easier to fix when the holes wear out. Tim

I believe that the one piece wheel was introduced on the Broadmoor starting with the 728. I have a 727 and it has the two piece wheel and hub. Also this is the way it is shown in the parts manual.