Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air pressure ?

Mick14

I just got a set of tri-ribs for my old Broadmoor,4.00/6,the manual says the front tires should have 9 psi. in them,but these are a lot narrower ,should i use more air in them ? thanks.

Thanks again,the side wall says 39 lbs max @ 397 pounds,i think the tractor weighs about 500# with the deck.39# sounds pretty high.

But not all the weight of the tractor is on the front wheels at any time. Average with the deck should be around 300#

When I got my tri-ribs, I inflated them to max pressure and left them for a month or so, just to make sure the beads sealed real well. I then lowered the pressure to about 25 pounds. As long as they don't look low, then they have adequate pressure in them If you put a heavy load on the front, the tires will look low and you should add more air. It doesn't take long to find out what the best air pressure is for your needs.

Nine psi may work with the wide tire, but not with the narrow tire. The force applied by the pressure to hold up the tractor is related to the area of the tire. The larger the tire area is, the less pressure needed. I usually run 9 psi in the rear tires.