Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb trouble?

landlord2110

my tractor stall every time its full throttled. it has new points,condenser and no matter what the needle valve is set at it stalls at full throttle. it idles good. could it be a carb problem?

I had the same problem with a friends tractor,the fuel line between the tank and the filter was almost totally clogged with years "stuff" ,new line and filter solved it.i always change the line with the filter.

Don't forget to check the mesh filter screen in the outlet valve on the bottom of the fuel tank. Many people will just punch these out, and use an inline filter. Also, if you're using an inline filter, make sure you're using one for lawn and garden applications, not automotive applications. The ones for cars are more restrictive and will not flow as much fuel, gravity fed, as the ones for lawn & garden -- those for cars are for systems with fuel pumps. Thinking I was smart, I used one of the big clear see-through ones for cars, thinking I could keep an eye on sediment/rust coming out of the tank. I consistently had intermittent fuel starvation problems at full throttle, especially under load. Switched it with one of the little red ones for lawnmowers and solved the problems...

Thinking I was smart, I used one of the big clear see-through ones for cars, thinking I could keep an eye on sediment/rust coming out of the tank. I consistently had intermittent fuel starvation problems at full throttle, especially under load. Switched it with one of the little red ones for lawnmowers and solved the problems.. Really Kent, I learned something here again. Haven't had any wide open problems lately but will have to change mine over just to avoid any, got NAPA filters on all mine.

I had this problem with a dirty air filter. You might check that. I went through all my tractors and cleaned them all at once after that.

so far have tried everything suggested by you the club members(except air cleaner) and still does the same. what happens is when the engine is cold-it starts up good, idles good, and runs at full throttle for 30 seconds-60 seconds then the engine throttles up and down until it stalls.

MY TWO CENTS: Sounds like the same thing my old enemy, the Broadmoor 707, would do}:). I did all the things you did plus rebuilt the carb and nothing worked. Finally, a friend of mine suggested running a mix of fuel injector cleaner and gas to clean the whole system( about 1/4 tank of gas, 4 ounces of cleaner) and run it until it starts to die out. It will spit and sputter, try to run it for a few minutes. Let it sit for a day or two, drain the mix out and put fresh gas in. Mine ran a lot better, but I still had to play with carb adjustments to get it perfect. It cut grass all summer without a hitch.