Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowstuff

PatrickE

In southeast Michigan we got 5" of snow with half inch of ice on top the other day, here is my son Kenny doing his first snowblowing with the 738. He has mowed a couple times now, mostly does lawn rolling and pulling trailers all over. He has claimed the 728 I picked up last year as his, and just put my extra blade on it, don't have chains or any weight on it yet. [img]/club2//attach/patricke/kenny738.JPG[/img] I put a blade and chains on the 3416H for the first time too, pushes real nice and haven't even filled the tires yet. Not quite used to using the electric lift while plowing my uneven gravel drive yet, need to get some 'float' travel out of the lift rod or something. [img]/club2//attach/patricke/trctrs.JPG[/img] We just got another 5" of snow this morning and have to take care of that, but its supposed to be 48 tommorrow and 50's in a couple days!

Looks like you may neeed two snowblowers if you want to do any blowing Pat. Don't know what your outside temp was in the pic but I've learned if I pull the two pins and leave my blade outside in the cold the snow doesn't stick too it.. Good looking fleet of snow busters.

Nice pictures Pat. We got the same snow/ice mix in NY and it was a mess. I'd planned on using my 712 with AG tires and weights (no chains) but it wouldn't plow for anything going up my steep driveway. Switched the plow to my 64 Landlord - turf tires and chains, but no weights and it is pretty much unstopable. This is the 1st time I've tried my 738 with a snowblower and I was pretty impressed! Just chains and it did really well in heavy wet snow.

Kenny didn't get to far with his today, he wants us to go to Tractor Supply and get some chains now. [img]/club2//attach/patricke/kennys728.JPG[/img] He had fun pushing snow with the 3416H, especially when I said 'hit it faster!' [img]/club2//attach/patricke/kenny3416H.JPG[/img] Sure was a pretty snowfall this morning, to bad it will be gone in 2 days. [img]/club2//attach/patricke/barnpic.JPG[/img]

Good fever your boy's got there Pat, might get him them tire chains just to help the fever grow. Maybe he can do a drive across the road and make a few bucks and help pay for the chains then feel real acomplished.

Looks like you are training yourself out of a job. He'll have everything cleaned up before you get home from work on those snowy days. Be glad he wants to get out and do that. Most kids today would rather stay inside and be entertained. Do you have enough yard to share the mowing duty this summer? You will have to teach him how to make nice straight stripes.

Give you son a pat on the back for me. Looks real "At Home" on them tractors. Pretty soon I'll be able to get my son involved in these.

Pat we got a sleet/snow sandwich here in the boston area similar to what you folks got. I am getting suited up now to go clean up where the plows could not go. Looks like you some help, and it does not look as if he look upon snow removal as a chore >>> yet :D

Looks like Kenny is going to take over. Those are good looking tractors you have there. We ended up with about 12" over all in Manchester but not much of that freezing stuff.

Hi Nice pictures, and very nice Simplicity tractors you got there. I can relate to your son as I am a young guy my self and only started driveing lawn and Garden tractors 5 years ago. In 2000 I was only in Grade 7 when I drove my first lawn tractor, it was an Agco Allis 1614H with a 38 inch deck. It was simplicity built though. I still remember driving it for the first time like it was yesturday. I loved in so much that my parents had to litteral pry me off of the tractor seat. In Grade 10, I traded the 1614H off for a Agco Allis 1920H, well literally me and my dad would "fight" over who would get to drive the 1920H since we both really like it. Well we finally solved that issue when we got a 1918 this year so now me and my dad both have a tractor to drive. I am glad to see other young people like my self out driving Simplicity tractors and having fun at the same time. I know I will never get tired of "playing" with my Garden tractors. It is a great interest to have. Take Care Jason B

Nice looking Fleet!! You want to watch what you buy for chains Mowerman got a set for christmas a year ago or so and said they didn't work very good at all so this year he bought another set off ebay and says they work great you might want to check with him and see what the difference was....

You have a real nice fleet of tractors there..Looks almost like my collection,LOL I have a couple Broadmoors and a 3415H..My son really wants to start working the tractors but he comes a little short of reaching the pedals..But he does real well with the 3415H as he don't need to use the pedals... I got a set of chains from TSC a couple years ago for Christmas but they was 4 link and not real heavy..made by peerless...Then I got a set of 2 link with a parts tractor I bought and they was better..I bought a set from a guy on Ebay that are 2 link V bar and the chain is much heavier.These V bar chains really have a bite to them LOL...He has the chains listed most all the time..They ended up being cheaper than TSC even after shipping... Here is a link to the guy I got mine from... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50373&item=4349257806&rd=1

The chains on my 3416 are just some old long ones I got at a flea market for a couple bucks, I had to cut about 8" off of them. They even had the real nice spring tensioners with them! I will just have to keep an eye out for some for the 728, he doesn't really need them yet. Kenny really has to stretch for the clutch on the Broodmoors too, but no problem with the hydro unit. He will be a good lawnmower this summer, he loves the tractors, sometimes he will get all 3 out and mess with them. He likes to tinker in the barn when I am out there. I did the same when I was his age, followed dad to the garage. I had an old REO or something, with a blade, and plowed the whole neighborhood and street, couldn't get me off of it. Kenny still likes his X-Box and 5ft table full of Legos, but also likes anything that burns gasoline, go-kart and mini-bike too.