Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Success...well almost...

dbf

After many hours bent over in the cold, I finally flashed the 2110 this morning. One thing I noticed right away last night when I brought the carb home was the venturi tube is broken. Once I got the engine to fire and run, I realized with that broken, it won't idle. That's no biggy. I'll have the boys at the shop replace it. Once I tidyed up the wiring and made a bracket for the coil, I started it and buzzed around outside for about 20 mins or so. All the gears work and it moved quite well for a 30 yo + tractor. Now for the bad. The coil had a tremendous meltdown. All kinds of black gunk bubbled up from the top of it after 20 mins of running. Obviously I need a resistor somewhere in the line. So, once again, my question is, what kind of resistor/soliniod do I need and where do I place it? I wired the coil according to this diagram: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/clyde/coil.jpg[/img] I'm so close....all inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dan

Try a 12 Volt Coil With The Resistor Built into the coil.Any Auto Parts Store Should Be Able To Help You. Would Save You Some Extra Wiring. Jim

Congratulations - that is just the best feeling isn't it? Like Jim said, a coil with an internal resistor is simplest. If you go with an external resistor it would go between the ignition switch and the coil + terminal in the diagram. But I would expect your coil was bad to start with, usually the lack of a resistor will just burn points.

You're darn right it's a good feeling. Thanks so much for that Clyde. Now, not one to normally take a problem lying down, after I wrote this post I went back out and had a look. One of the wires from the magneto had a break in the insulation and was shorting against the block!! After wiring the coil up this morning I wrapped the 2 wires from the mag and old plug wire in tape, but missed the breakage. After I fixed that, the spark from the plug nearly jumped across my shop!!! So, what I think happened, was the coil got overdriven by the magneto and bubbled all the insulation out of the top. Does that make sense? Boy, does that stuff stink. I imagine by breathing that crud in, I took an afternoon or 2 off of my life! Now another question, why does the muffler glow cherry? Too much fuel? I think by not having a venturi tube the old girl is running extremely rich. Make sense?

Congrads on the winning progress so far. If its running extremely rich it should be smokin' black and may black foul your plug in a short time. My mufflers all glow in the dark when working hard blowing snow, not sure if they do in the summer when plowing or tilling, it don't get dark.:D

It may be running to lean. With lean runnning engines you tend to have really hot exhaust and hot engine. When they run a little rich the extra fuel actually absorbs the heat and it runs cooler.

To elaborate and contradict what I said in my last post, the engine is running too lean. I took the plug out and it is whitish. This makes sense, once again, because of the lack of a venturi. I tried enriching it, but all the tractor wanted to do is stall. After thinking about it, it floods itself because there is not enough negative pressure. I drove it around for another 20 minutes or so and the pipe didn't seem to get as hot. As well, the coil did not show any signs of being hot. So, it looks as if I got this one beat. Next, carb to the shop, new air filter, new battery (I going to try and buy a small automotive battery) and a shorter coil wire. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be blowin' and plowin'!! Thanks for all the help fellas, this is a great forum :). Cheers,

You've got my curiousity up. You mentioned the wire from the mag was throughing spark. If you have spark comeing from the old mag you shouldn't need the external. coil setup. However, if you have some other problem with the old mag that reqiures you to use the external coil, then take the wire loose from the points to the old mag so it won't try to fire. This bleedover from the secondary windings could be the reason the coil had a meltdown. The resister will help, but not cure the problem with the mag. hooked up to the coil. But on the other side, good job on getting her up and running. Look forward to getting some pics.

quote:
You've got my curiousity up. You mentioned the wire from the mag was throughing spark.
Good catch Dave - DBF, none of the wires from the old mag should still be used with the coil setup.