Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cylinder Sleeves

dbarhydt

I am about to have my B-1 engine redone I know it needs rings and probably vallve But if it needs to be sleeved How much money am I looking at and where can you buy it.

May be wrong but I don't think you can resleeve these old Briggs. Far as I know you can safely bore them to 060 oversize. As parts are hard to come buy, find out what size piston you can get before you have it bored. Think most the site sponsers haqve some pretty good connections to finding stuff. Have had real good luck with SLI myself. Think with boring, valve work, including new guides, block boiling and parts I had around 400 in my 19 for the 725, which should be the same engine in your B-1. Was worth every dime of it.

Hi, Normally if it has not been bored, boring will clean it. I have only seen 1 engine that had never been apart that wouldn't clean by boring. 030 is the maximum OS from Briggs. Several years ago I had a 712 in with a K 301 Kohler in it. It was running and had never been apart. I tore it down and mic'd it. I went and got my standards out and checked my Mics. It was worn 029 over about 1/2 inch from the top at right angles to the crank. Since most of the wear is on the thrust side on the power stroke it would have had to go about 040 to clean. We sleeved it and it worked well. In the future, I would find another block. It cost us about 110.00 to have the sleeve put in and bored back to stock and that was about 12 years ago. If you ever sleeve a K Kohler USE A 3/32 WALL SLEEVE. We got a call from a golf course about 20 years ago that had a greens mower that was running and died. They had just had the engine rebuilt in a reputable automotive machine shop. They said the frame on the mower was shorting out the spark plug. I said how can that be? I went down 45 miles and looked at it. The spark plug was hitting on the frame. The block had been sleeved with a 3/16 wall sleeve. 3/8" overbore to put it in. The block had separated from the crankcase and the cylinder and sleeve had slipped up about 1" until the plug hit the frame. When tractor pullers bore these engines way out, they put straps on the heads and draw bolts to the bottom of the crankcase to keep the block from separating. Anyway these don't like 3/16 wall sleeves. So much for this trivia. Al Eden

Thanks guys , this engine was redone two or three time over its life by my father in law who gave it to me. He is gone now so I can't ask him what all he did. It blows blue smoke only when its hot and under a load. So I guess I'll find out next week when a freind of mine tears it apart.:)

Thanks for the correction Al. Always thought you could take a Briggs out to 060. Dang, means my 725 is on its last go a round.