Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

put me in chains

dav
Thursday I worked my way up the side drive one tractor length at a time. The grade is about 10% and the drive is about 60 feet long. The blower worked well considering that I did not have the engagment lever and had to run out front to disengage it. I usually left it running. I have 25 pound steel weights and about 35 pounds of antifreeze on each side and around 85 pounds on the stinger to counter-balance the snow blower. Plus my 185 pounds. As soon as the blower started throwing, the turf tyres started slipping and I'd have to back up and start again. (I never put the ATV tyres on because one of them will not seal right on the rim and goes flat in two days). The final ignomity thou was once I reached the pavement, I slid down the sloping edge where the town never built up the shoulder. The right tyres were touching the asphault but would not grab onto it. The lady next door pulled me onto the street. Talk about minor humiliations. Friday I bought a set of 2 lug chains for $72(mass tax included). I threw them on the ground and drove onto them. Seemed a bit sloppy fit but I knew I had skipped the step of letting out some air before hooking them together. I also threw together a handle to engage the pto. I am much happier about not having the auger running uncontrolably. I looked up in the club posts about chains and found out about using bungee cords to keep the chains tight. This morning I fired the ole beast up and threw snow all the way up to the street on the first try! No slipping! No sliding! No spinning tyres! Yahoo!! Had just finished when the drive belt for the blower broke. Fired up the Sears Suburban with the plow on it. 25 pound weights only. No chains. Would not move without me getting off and helping it...on flat ground no less!! Not that I had high hopes-darn thing only runs for 5 minutes at a time before it just dies. 'nother trip down to Mass tomorrow to get the belt and stop on the way back to check out that 3012 and 2110. I'll take the digicam with me and see if I can post some pics of what the guy has to sell.

Kent
Great story! A word of advice -- buy a Simplicity belt for that snowblower -- it's designed to handle all those twists and turns, and will last MUCH longer than other ones...

ikipp
ditto. Every time I get feelin cheap and buy a belt other that a simplicity belt, I regret it. Simplicity belts really do last a lot-lot longer. Have alot of fun with your rig and send us some pics to see.

dav
Went to the Simplicity dealer today. Did buy a Simp belt for $25.67. Had seriously considered a cheapo belt as we are trying to move to Florida and the blower is not going with us-although the tractor and implements will. But then I figured that so many of my plans haven't worked out that I may need a snow blower for years to come. On the way home I stopped to see the 3012 and 2110 for sale near me. I wish I didn't already have tractors so I could justify buying these. The guy has done a good job taking them from junkers to close to original. He emailed me some pics and I took some myself. I will try to post them tomorrow when my daughter is here to coach me through it.