Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

using weight set as wheel weights

landlord2110

Ive got a barbell set and was wondering about cutting down on the TDS 35LB weights for each of the rear wheels. How would you make the diameter smaller to fit wheels(they are siver in color-some kind of metal)? Only weighting 135LB's myself, there just sitting on the bench.

There have been other posts about making wheel weights from barbells. Basically you make an adapter that bolts to the holes where the wheel weights normally are attached, with a bar that comes out through the wheel. You then slide smaller diameter weights inside the wheel and use one or two larger diameter weights outside the rim. You can search for them. I think they were called "quick weights", or something like that.

Roy, The adaptors Rod is talking about are called E-Z Weights. Real nice system, you can add or take off weights as you need it. The only problem I found with them is if you have a hub that does not sit flush with the wheel, you need to use spacers(lots of washers or heavy pipe)to bring the adaptor out beyond the hub. I did not want to do this on mine, as a result I have a brand new set gathering dust in the garage. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Heres a link http://www.ezweights.com/frmain.php But I think you can get a bracket weld up and a cheap set of weights for less

There is a post on making an adapter in the tech tips area with pictures and diagram. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41723

• 2 weeks later...
Oh no, too late, looks like E-Z Weights is out of business. But you can buy their business! "After establishing a successful web-based business, the owner of EZ Weights will discontinue operations on December 31, 2004 in order to pursue other interests. The business will be offered for sale to anyone interested in a profitable, part-time business. If you would like to take EZ Weights to the next level of success, please email support@ezweights.com for more information."

Here is what I came up with. I stole this idea from another member. I simply used flat bar welded a pice of pipe to it and drilled two holes. It gives me a total of 100lbs to the rear. Just make sure the shim the right side. I did not and the flat bar bent against the hub pushing the wheel out. It pushed it out enough to make it come out of the diff. "that is what happend to my wife yesterday on the 3310v"

Elon

I have two 10lbs and one 5lbs per side. If I can come up with two more 10lbs, I'll take thouse 5lbs off. that would be 30lbs per side. With the 12 gallons in the tires, that should be plenty of wheight. Elon

I also made my own brackets and used a $20 barbell weight set purchased at Wal-Mart. Bracket idea came from another member and I just adapted it to my rims. As far as cutting down, best bet would to find someone with a lathe and have them turned. If they are made of cast iron you may try a jigsaw and metal blades although it may take several hours.

Just remeber to use some kind of spacer as elon mentioned.

Randy