Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New England snow and ice

ReedS

Tractors waitng for warmer weather, [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0887m.jpg[/img] Ice on trees, [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0886m.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0884m.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0885m.jpg[/img] This stuff has been a real pain to clean up, still not down to pavement in the driveway. If you look eal close in the second pic you can see a group of snowmobiles on the lake, last I knew there was almost 8" of ice but we've had rain then the snow and ice since then. I won't feel comfortable until I see cars and even then I'll wonder just how safe the ice is.

Reed, I know how you feel bud. every winter on the lake across the street, they clear a circle track and race motorcyles. Even when there are 10 or 15 bikes out there, the closest I get on the ice to watch is where I know the water is less than 2 feet deep. :D:D And as far as that goes, we still have a little open water. nice pictures though.

Those are some great pictures Reed. The lakes and ponds around here are largely spring fed and have a lot of thin spots in the ice we have to be very careful when going out on it.

Nice pics! Ice is pretty thin or non-existant around here. Last winter was real good, went to several tip-up festivals with circle track and drags, looked like Kmarts parking lot out there, 1-2ft of ice.

I like the 2nd pic with the dark sky and lit foreground... I also tend to stay off most ice...every year it seems that one hears of an ice fishermans vehicle going throuhg the ice...

I grew up in Michigan, and Detroit is about as far north as Boston. We always had enough cold weather to get ice that was a foot or more thick. About 2/3 the way up the mitten there is a town called Houghton Lake and every year they have a huge winter festival called Tip-Up Town. The ice usually gets several feet thick there, and semi-trucks drive out on it. I can remember boring holes through the ice to fish, and only haveing a few inches of handle left on the auger sticking up. I think that was about three feet or maybe a bit more of ice that time....

While I was living in Minnesota, I learned that it takes only about 17" of good ice to support an 18 wheeler. Really you are floating on the ice like being on a raft. I used to watch the pick ups go out on our lake to go ice fishing all winter. We had somewhere over 20" and up to about 30" of ice. Dan

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm really an ameteur when it comes to photography. I got lucky catching the ice on the trees, it was gone the next day (except at the higher elevations). It was prettier in person and I couldn't quite catch that with the camera. Of course the trees around here did suffer for it (mostly the white pines) as there were tree branches all over the place but luckily no major power outages (that I knew of anyway). In most years we usaully get 1-1 1/2 feet of ice on the lake,this year has been an exception though and while I've seen a few hardy souls who dare to tread on the ice that we have the lake has otherwise been a ghost of it's usual self in regards to winter activity,not that I'm complaining mind you since a snow machine at full throttle at three am while trying to sleep is usually very conspicious and it's not that I dislike sleds it just the people that abuse the privledge on a regular bases that I object to. Well mother nature's snow machine is winding up again, may get another 8hrs of ot tonight.

Nice pictures. I live in NY. Only had a couple of inches here and there so far this winter. Haven't been able to go out and "play" with my machines too much this winter so far. Only expecting another 1 to 3" tonight.