Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Christmas came a few weeks late....

dbf

....a good friend of mine from work arrives this morning with a carburetor from a 10 hp b&s he has in his basement....and gives it to me!!! When I got home I attempted to mount it but both the choke and throttle levers were 180 degrees from what I needed. So, after some filing and gentle persuasion, I flipped them both and BANG the engine fires and after warming up, settles into a nice stable idle. After supper I mounted the blade and she pushed with no hesitation. There I was pushing snow around with a big ol' lip of skoal and my poor 14 year old daughter looking out the window shaking her head. Only to be 14 again!! The blower was a different story. It rained today, so the snow was heavy as hell. But the good thing was, when she was at WOT, she put the power to the ground, which was what I wanted. As well, I cobbled up an air cleaner for it. The element cost 28 bucks. I almost said forget it and go without, but you can't do that. Couldn't find a coil wire today, so I cobbled one of those up too. I'll ask my buddy who runs a garage to keep a short plug wire for me. I'm sure I find something. Next are chains. My tires are 23 x 8.5 x 12. I priced 2 link chains today and they will run me over 1 hundred bucks. I’ll get a set tomorrow and for all intensive purposes, I’m ready for the white stuff. Now, front wheel bearings. Mine need replacing. Anyone know the size off hand, or is there anywhere on the web where I could look? TIA,

DAn ,,great to see another local boy on this site ,,,I'm very new to this tractor /engine stuff,,but I'm relentless when I put my mind to finding stuff ,,,going tomorrow to look at an old 10 horsepower briggs ,guy want $100 he's in eastern passage ..also have been finding lots of ol guys who may be able to help you ..you can e-mail me direct and I can fill you in ...what is it your using for gear??

quote:
Originally posted by phil
...what is it your using for gear??
I have a 1968 Simplicity 2110 10 hp B&S with a plow, blower, mowing deck and a sickle bar (which I'll probably sell). As for chains on ebay, since I live in Canada, the shipping and custom charges are brutal. I have bought a number of items from south of the 49th and, besides books, I get raped at the border every time. I could just as easily make a set of chains but I doubt if it would be any cheaper than $100 if I had to source the material from a supplier. Any ideas on wheel bearings?