Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
phil

CHAINS FOR THE FRONT END

phil
OK I've got a Bolens 135 with rear wheelweights and blower on the front ,,last storm I had a heck of a time steering it,wanted to go straight and or just was a pain,,, ,neigbor suggested chains for the front...good idea or waste of money..

HubbardRA
I know the tri-ribs work well. Got them on two tractors. You need to check the clearance before you decide on chains. Some tractors don't have room between the tire and spindle for the side links.

thedaddycat
I have Snow Hogs on the front of two different tractors, they seem to work pretty well. I thought about front chains, decided the clearance was a little tight and never tried it.

KSever
Here's a picture of the snowhogs on my 314, they work great. Don't mind the unpainted snowblower hitch, this picture is about 2 months old and it's now painted after the hitch was installed. [img]/club2/attach/KSever/snowblowermount.jpg[/img]

Bunky
I thought about putting chains on the front of my wheel horse because I had the same problem, but my W H had these tires that were pretty much flat with 4 or 5 tiny grooves wouldn't steer at all so I put on a new set of TurfSaver II's from walmart $15.97 and it helped tremendously I'm thinking now of maybe a little WW fluid in them to help even more,

Hoss
I had the same problem with the turning issue. The wheels would not even move, but rather just slid on the ice under the snow. My tractor is used only for snow and I was thinking about putting is some sheet metal screws to make studded tires. I wonder how that would work?

cwm1276
Phil, WW Fluid = Windshield Washer fluid They say try to fill to cover the as much of the rim when mounted as possible to minimize rusting of the wheel. Other here have posted about breaking the bead and pouring into rear tires not sure about fronts.