Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

symptoms from a worn crankshaft lobe

landlord2110

I was wondering what the symptoms are of a worn lobe on the crankshaft for the points system? My landlord 2210 had electronic system in it and I changed back to points system and now I have this problem(which is in the discussion now)- my tractor stall every time its full throttled. it has new points,condenser and no matter what the needle valve is set at it stalls at full throttle. it idles good. could it be a carb problem? I have check fuel lines, gas tank, air cleaner. I am going to put in a new carb kit in but would like to know the symptoms of worn lobe.

I'd do the carb rebuild. I can't answer your question, but it seems to me that a worn lobe would affect the rod and therefore the valves. But if it is a valve problem, you won't know what it is until you measure. The lobe, rod or valve seat and/or stem(s) might be worn. when there is an ignition problem with these tractors, it winds up being a fuel problem, as opposed to cars, which is rarely a fuel problem and most always ignition.

I cant answer the question, cant remeber but I;m pretty sure Al Eden has addressed that before. Did you try a search??

I thought it was the lobe that pushes the rod. Didn't think of that, Landlord2110. If that's the case, it could be the plunger itself that is worn or broken.

Ty a timeing light on a fixed point of referance. If it continues to flash steady up through the rpm range then look at the carb. If revs up and flashes erraticaly, look at a worn or sticking plunger. Either way the carb kit ain't goona hurt.

Yes the points work off of a lobe but they work off of a lobe on the cam shaft not the crank. Myself and others are wondering the samething on a 12 brigggs that I have here. Rob

Per Al Eden, if the camshaft end thrust is excessive and the points plunger cam lobe is worn then the points setting will vary as the cam moves axially. This causes erratic running due to the varying point gap. In the case of my B-1 (Model 19 B & S) the engine would sputter and miss when going uphill and/or if I popped a wheelie. An electronic ignition module solved the problem for me (e.g. no points). Al may want to correct me on this or expand on it. I think he has an article on this either here or at his web site. All I know on this,