Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rust Removal Final Report.

Al

Hi, Last summer several people were experimenting with rust removal by electrolysis. Now that everyone has had time to evaluate the process, what did the results show? Did it work successfully for anyone? Al Eden

Al, I was semi-successful in cleaning up a dash cowl for my 7013S. Finally determined that I needed a larger DC power supply. The 10 amp battery charger I was using only put about 5 amps into the solution. Have kind of put the electrolysis on hold for a while. However, I did determine that if you reverse the DC leads it will eat up your good part rather rapidly. :(

I had some sucess in cleaning a colter from my plow. My first shot at it was sort of soar as I used plated sacrifice metal. When I used low grade unplated metal for the sacrifice it worked better. The nice part of it is, you can the waste material and pour in your garden. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum I plan to cut up for some larger objects. I have talked to some people who have used it and they are somewhat satisfied.

I think I was the first or one of the first to post this. I have had good luck, not great but its better than grinding and grinding and all the dust in my shop. I think the right size container for the part, the larger charger the better, and evenly spaced top and bottom electrodes, and not to be in a hurry it works very good. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27353&SearchTerms=rust,removal There was other post from other fine members after this but this was easy to find, I knew I posted the topic once upon a time. I'm glad other have got something out of the posts and I hope everyone forgives my typos and grammar blunders over the years. I have went back and read some of my posts and just wandered where was my brain at the time. My wife thinks its full of rust dust, paint fumes, and solvents from over the years. I think its "Sometimers" not quiet as bad as Oldtimers, just happens sometimes.