Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can a mid pto on a B series run a blower?

Orange

Is there any reason, with a modified hitch and a belt of the proper length, why you could not run a blower off of an old Landlord or B series tractor? I have a Landlord 101 and have been making some hitches for the newer model tractor blowers with the cone clutches and was wondering how many of you have run your snowblower from the center pulley on your B series. I've never had my tractor running, so I really don't know much about that type of PTO clutch system. To me it looks like it would be an easy modification to an old blower hitch. Thanks for your ideas.

You may have to build one of those hitches with the modified mower arbor mounted on it and use two belts so that you can change pulley size to control speed. If you drive directly from the PTO pulley, the blower will probably be turning too slow.

Hi, In 1967 I had a Wards Squire 10, Landlord 10. On a closeout I bought a new broadmore 32 or 36" I don't remember which blower. I made a drive and ran it off the center PTO. I put an idler pulley right behind the front axle to keep the belt from hitting the front axle. My friend had one of the 3 belt bloweers. Running off the big, mower pulley this blower ran over twice as fast as the 3 belt blower. I could drive down the sidewalk on my side of the street and if the snow was wet and dense enough and the conditions right I could paste it about 12 feet up in the trees between the sidewalk and street ACROSS the street. It rarely ever plugged and man would it move snow. It could really work the 10 hp, but it WOULD throw snow. Personally I feel it was far superior to the factory drive. We had a really bad storm one year and I had my and my friends 3 belt blower both cleaning driveways. His would plug up in the wet snow and the auger would be just like a round log of snow and mine would just blow by. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

This is the one I made for my 64 Landlord. The blower is accually for a Broadmoor. Thats why the hitch looks wierd. I had to narrow it down to fit the blower. The belt is too short but I put it on just to show how it fits. I plann on putting a smaller pully on the blower and use the larger pulley on the PTO. It's all painted now, but I havent gotten around to get the belt yet:(. I'm kinda wondering how well it will work. Then again with the weather were having, not sure if I'll get a chance to try it. It's 60 out now at 7:30 in the morning, and gunna get into the 20 but night fall. Is this the seventh sign? Elon

Elon, thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I had in mind. If you get yours together and running be for I do, would you mind telling me what size pulleys you ended up running. Also what size belt. I didn't think it would be too hard to make the hitch, but as Al mentioned , the pulley size will definately effect performance, one way or another.