Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift cylinder

richp

I hear about running a convertable top cylinder for a home made hydro lift. Can these cylinders handle the load? If so i would be willing to try it. Any particular model?

I have been thinking about a linear actuator. We use them at work and they are very reliable. You can get different sizes with different capabilities. 12 volt, so you would not need a pump. Don't know if the electrical system would handle it..

richp, Use of the convertible cylinders is very dependent on the use of the cylinder on the tractor. If it is used to lift a mower and a tiller with both attached by cables, then the cylinder would probably work fine. Problem is usually the size of the rod coming out of the cylinder. I have a couple of cylinders off of an autopilot system on a Navy airplane. Problem with these cylinders is that the rod is only 3/8 diameter. A standard Simplicity cylinder (have one of them also) has a 3/4 diameter rod. If using an attachment like a blade and applying downforce from the hydraulics, a sudden impact to the blade could transmit back to the cylinder and bend the rod. I am going to use one of the small rod cylinders and set it up for lift only so the cylinder is always pulling on the rod which will not bend it.

When this "tractor" was originally built, it was built with a snow plow. It used 2 of these cylinders with the small rods. Though it was only used a few times to push snow, the builder said it would lift the front of the tractor off the ground. Due to its "non user friendly" operation, I'm betting it hit snowbanks a little hard more than once. The rods never bent and are fine. Doesnt mean it wont happen, just didnt on this one. Rod knows his stuff, I'd at least take his comments into consideration. Just my 2 cents. :D

JJ, its an old cub cadet. Something like a 106 I think. I'm not real familiar with Cub models, and it was cut in half and lengthened, then set on top of 6 inch channel.

You cannot use a convertible top cylinder for the tractor.The ends can easily blow out if slightly past its travel.The housing has no strengthen and the shafts easily bend.However,the convertible top motor pump assembly is the exact opposite.