Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This might be fun to put in a tractor...

AC808

I dont care to molest tractors too much...Gotta stay original...BUT if one needs a motor Im always looking for something interesting to install...this one might be fun to try... and it just might fit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26353&item=7126815000&rd=1

My boss who is a big snowmobile guy, has been bugging me to let him do just that. It would be an interesting thing to do. Elon

Hi, My brother had one of these in a Polaris. They don't have very much torque, particularly at low rpm and don't develope their power until they are at very high rpm. It could be a fun project, but 3 things you should be aware of you will need about a 3 to 1 reduction system. As I remember these I believe they need to turn about 9 or 10 thousand rpm or maybe even more to develope their horspower. Number 2 In hot weather it will need an adequate cooling process. Number 3 You would need to develop a governor system. I am not trying to discourage you, but if you are going to spend money on a project like this, I thought you might want to be aware of the gremlins that will come out of the wall. I mean this respectfully, not critically. Have fun. Good luck, Al Eden

My cousin put a sled motor in a old Wheel Horse years ago..They hooked it all up so they could mowe grass but they didn' think about the RPM's it had to run for any power...First gear was about 15mph, LOL They used it one about year until the motor was shot...They kept running it to hot as it had cooling problems...

I had 2 Artic Cat snowmobiles and a 1976 Mazda RX4 with a rotary engine...they were all great with lots of power for their weight and size. The local tractor pulling clubs have specifically outlawed rotary engines. They even allow turbine engines but not rotary.

My son used to race in the mini stock class where the competative cars all ran rotary engines out of RX7s. The track finnally required mufflers because the exhaust noise is unbearable in the stands. I think maybe that is why they were banned in tractor pulling??? It is true that very high rpms is where the power is for these engines which makes them impractical for tractor applications. However - - still would be fun to try :-) Dan