Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Blade Shipping

Mack

I sold a 46" Snow/Dozer Blade back in December.Tried to ship UPS in two pieces from Ohio to CT.The online UPS calculator quoted around $60.00. But when I took it to the store that handles UPS shipments I was told that the blade section (when entered into their computer) price quote automaticaly put it in an oversized catagory at $80.00.Needless to say I was not too happy with that and I don't think my buyer would want to pay $40.00 dollers more than I quoted him.So after talking to the USPS Postmaster here in town,he said they may be able to handle it. Sent it Parcel Post in two sections,insured with delivery confirmation for less than $50.00

Mack, did you box the blade and hitch together. I run a FEDEX & UPS ship center. I have a blade and hitch boxed for shippment now. Wts 75 lbs I can ship it to you from S.C. to ohio for $ 36.00 My cost. The price they qouted you was 90lb So guy if all ya al have shipping cost question gave me a ring, and I maybe able to get it shiped for you. Ken

Mack the post office uses fedex for that freight. If you go to them It usauly cheaper. Just depends how cloes you are to fedex.

I have not had any luck at all with UPS lately. It seems the bill I get is DOUBLE what is quoted online. My weight and dimensions have been on the money,too. I also get hit with a fuel surcharge, and an additional fee for delivering to a residence if not a business address. What a racket!

I would of had to drive 30 miles to Lima,Oh.There is a Fedex and UPS shipping terminal there. I did not box them.I sent these just like they are pictured with just a little more tape on them to secure the labels.

Fellows for your information Ship center have to charge more than the published price s on the web.. It's called paying the overhead. But for all ya al you can print a ship label off thier web sites to have it pick up at your house for an extra $5.00. But I think you to call them for pick up. By the way mack if you didn't box them by my measurements they should have gone for there wt.

Ken, I sure don't mean to kick sand in your lunch, but I am missing something here... "Fellows for your information Ship center have to charge more than the published price s on the web.. It's called paying the overhead." I call it false advertising & misleading statements. What is the difference in overhead between a residence or a business? A Driver still must make an appearance to make a delivery.

Business's are delivered to almost everyday and more than just one package. For residential the driver must be given an extra time allowance to find the place, and as we know time is money. This is the explaination given to me.

The thing that probably killed you on price with UPS is the parts not being in a cardboard box. That really dings you. The residential delivery charge is little to nothing. When you use the UPS website you need to be setting the shipping point settings on the correct mark or you will get the wrong estimate. I have had daily pick up with UPS for several years now and no gripes as to the pricing or process. I don't add handling fees to my buyers shipments and just pass along the discount rate to the customer. I make up the difference with more bidders due to lower shipping fees. Doing it this way always seems to beat Fed Ex prices by about a dollar every time. I don't use the Postal service for anything but 1 lb priority mail. UPS beats Priority mail on heavier items at my rates. Also you have to pay for the insurance and delivery confirmation at the post office, whereas its included in the UPS service for up to $100 in value. Over that you have to pay a minor fee more. I won't use the post office to ship because over the last two to three years they raised their rates several times, added delivery area surcharges, and have adopted "Bankers Hours" to where people who go to work before 8:00 and get home after 4:00 are lost because they office is closed otherwise. Not to mention they are closed for holidays it seems every other day anymore.. I go by the post office every day for lunch, but won't stop and waste my time there and end up having no time to eat. Also the post office fees are based on to the ounce weights and if you are off at the pound level your online quote will be wrong. I've never had my online quotes match the actual charges. The UPS weight system is much more forgiving. I have rarely had a mis quoted price. My online quotes almost always match the bills I recieve. On the 46" blades, my shipping prices with UPS run from about $36-$50 in two boxes depending on location shipped to. Sorry guys but .. Brown works for me....

Brown works for me too when I use it. :D I have learned a couple tricks to make it work though. My online quotes are usually within $1. Once in a while there will be a major difference, but not often. Our local UPS drop point is the video counter at the local grocery store. :( So the shipping is done by whatever yahoo ;) happens to be behind the counter. I try to bring the measurements with me, Its amazing how many high school kids can't read a tape measure. Also, when I do my online quote, I add a couple pounds on larger items. It only adds a few cents, but 1 keeps me from undercharging the customer, and 2 I do my weighing at home on an old bathroom scale. For the most part though, I use Priority mail. Not having UPS daily pick up, I dont get the discounted rate, and with the amount of shipping I do, I like the free packageing materials a business can get from USPS. There is no way, when I'm going good, that I could find the quantity of boxes I need without having to buy them and charge the customer. With the free stuff, I dont charge a handling fee either. Also with the postal service online calculator, I seldom get a quote wrong, and when I do its usually my fault. And lastly, its 7 miles to the UPS drop point, and walking distance to the post office. :D In short, both ways have their advantages. Brown works better for some and the mail works better for others. ;) Oh yea, one more thing FYI. If you set up an account with the post office, you can print your own lables, making delivery confirmation free, and if they are labeled correctly and the postage is already paid, you can ship the packages right from your own mailbox. ;);)