Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gravely L Model question

dads707

I used to use this mower quite a bit when I had my "mini" farm. Sold the farm and the Gravely has sat unused for 3 yrs. The wheels rotted off (it was stored inside) and when I tried to get the wheels off I found the threads on the axle are in bad shape. Anybody here mess with these old things enough to know what die I need to clean these up? Sorry about the non Simplicity/AC post, but this is where I go when I need help.

powerking_one
Dennis, I assume the "threads being in bad shape" means someone beat on the axle ends and mushroom'd them. You'll first have to take a Dremel tool and circumferentially grind away the distortion. The thread is 5/8"-18 NF. Soak up the axle/hub with Kroil for a few days. Once the threads are cleaned up, future hub removal should be done with a Tecumseh flywheel knock-off tool PN 670314. Have a helper back-up the opposite axel end with an 8lb sledge hammer to protect the differential internals. Using a 3-jaw puller will guarantee a broken wheel hub. There's one of those tools on eBay now. Hope this helps. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66760&item=4348361082&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V Tom(PK)

Called Richards in WV, he told me 5/8 fine thread. Tom, you just saved this old Gravely. I was going to put the puller on it and smack it with the big hammer. I got the nuts off the axle but I need to chase the threads. Now I know it is 5/8 -18NF. Hate to see this old mower put in the graveyard. Tom, the tool is 5/8-20. Will it work??

No it won't. 5/8 NC 11 NC = National Course Thread 5/8 NF 18 NF = National Fine Thread 5/8 NS 20 NS = National Special Thread 5/8 = diamater of shaft NC-NF-NS = style of thread 11-18-20 = threads per inch. Get a thread guage at your parts store and check it. They are not expensive.

I had one of these model L's given to me this fall from my father-in-law..It as all sorts of implements and dual wheels..more than a truck load for sure...I need to go get it one of these days to save it..Said when he gets back from Florida that its going to the scrap yard if I don't take it...He said it runs good but needs a started gear..

Thanks all. In my original post I said the wheels rotted off. I meant the tires. Have an extra set of wheels with bar tread tires to mount. Now to get the wheels off... Also have 30 in" bush hog (I used this most of the time), tiller, plow and gear reduction wheels. It will probably be looking gor a new home in the fall.

powerking_one
Dennis, I don't know for sure, but I think that knock-off tool on eBay thread pitch might be a typo? I don't think Tecumseh used 20 TPI 5/8" flywheel nuts, but did follow the NF standard at 18 TPI. I won't swear to it though. At the Gravely shop I worked at many years ago, I know it was a Tecumseh knock-off tool we used. I can confirm the PN from my brother if you'd like me to pursue it. Tom(PK)

My local shop was closed today, so I will try it Mon. The way the rims are split I just might be able to replace the tire without taking the wheel off. Thanks all. Tom, I will see if my local shop has one, will let you know if I am successful.

powerking_one
Dennis, My brother confirmed/checked the 670314 knock-off tool and it is indeed a 5/8"-18 thread. The prior reference to the one on eBay may not be such a great deal. Jacks Small Engines price quotes it at $2.57. Tom(PK)