Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

So Cold, my carb. doesn't like it.

BrownA

Up here in New England it's been pretty cold for the past day. I decided to start up my B110 which is currently stored outside under a overhang. Well it started no problem so I decided to let it run for a bit. I had it running at about half throttle, running fine. All of a sudden the engine slowed right down to a very slow idle. I tried moving the throttle cable and it did absolutely nothing, tried the butterfly on the carb., got no response at all. Kind of strange. I figured it was probably a fuel problem due to the cold. It eventually started to run normal but then repeated the same series of events with it eventually stalling. I spoke to my mechanic friend and he said the fuel was freezing up in the carb., that's why the snowblowers have those shields over the exhaust and carbs.. Well this tractor currently does not have a metal shield because it has a loader and I need to custom make one. I never realized how important that heat shield is in the extreme cold. Obviously if you can't use the tractor it's worth having that shield. Something to think about for anyone who does not have one. I am going to make one when I get a chance.

I live in South Eastern Ma. as well but my Simplicity 3212H does not start well in the cold weather? Runs great after it warms up some? Haven't done any checking of the points and was thinking that may be my problem? Could also be the 30 weight oil I have in the engine? I may look into making something to get some heat from the engine to the carb too? Good luck with yours.. Looks like Ice Fishing soon around here...Minus 3 degrees at my house this morning.. Burrrrrrrr

wishin: don't start it again until it gets over freezing. Then start it to get oil warm and change it to 5 or 10w.

Thanks Simplicity314, Should that be detergent or non-detergent oil? I've always thought single cylinder engines without an oil filter should use non-detergent oil.

Here in Wisconsin at our Fleet-Farm stores non-detergent oil is still available. As far as running ND oil is, the engine people recommend detergent oil. I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

On my T16 with a 12 hp B&S with a flo-jet carb I got some tin from a hyvac place, cut a shield about 10x12," screwed in to the side of the carb on some of the blank unused mounting points & basically ran the shield to the edge of the hood. This works great, gets just enough heat from the engine & exhaust to stop the carb from icing. p.s. my 1973 Land Rover used to do the same thing, basically the venturi effect of the carb cause the air temp to drop even further and cause icing around the carb. Smae thing that happen on prop planes.

I use Synthetic 10w30 for my 7117 in cold weather and a bottle of heet in a can of 5 gallons of fuel. It helps keep my carb from freezing over as much. Synthetic oils seem to flow better at start up than the regular 30w. Costs a little more but its only a qt. and a half. It's worth a try, Works for me... :D8D

Did an oil flow test last winter and posted pics here for you guys that like 30wt oil in below zero temps. Think its been kept in tips and Articles. When you see how hard 30 wt is in the cold you'll count your blessings you didn't blow a rod starting your tractor.

I just go to Sam's or Costco and get get two six quart boxes of Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30. I usually run half and half. $23 a box.